Roll Call - Wednesday 10 November

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004
      I can host this week's session at my house in San Ramon. Who is
      interested in joining me for an evening of games?

      Rich Pardoe
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004
        Hi Rich,

        It looks like you got your offer to host before I did. If it works out
        better for the overall schedule I take over hosting for this week. If
        you still want to host, I'll need your address. See you Wednesday.

        I can host this week's session at my house in San Ramon. Who is
        interested in joining me for an evening of games?

        Rich Pardoe

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004
          --- In trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Pardoe"
          <RPardoe@p...> wrote:
          > I can host this week's session at my house in San Ramon. Who is
          > interested in joining me for an evening of games?

          I'm going to pass this week. Kathi and I will be celebrating our
          wedding anniversary.

          Dave Wilson
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004
            Jeff,

            Didn't think we had another host for the week. If you want to
            host...let's do it at your house. That (I hope) let's me be the first
            to respond....

            I'll be there (Jeff's house) for games this Wednesday.

            Rich
          • Sterling
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2004
              I will be there as well.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
                Tonight saw one recent trend broken and one tradition maintained.

                As for the broken trend, instead many quick games, we managed to play
                one longer economic pick up and delivery game....Merchants of
                Ven....no, not Venus, but Venice. And not the just announced game
                from Essen (Oltremare) but the 1996 attempt to capture renaissance
                trading: Serenissima. Sterling, Rich, and Jeff also welcomed Jeff's
                neighbour Sean to have 4 at the table.

                According to the rules, Serenissima is the name that Venetians called
                their region in their heyday. The game shows the Mediterranean Sea
                and each player represents one of the 4 trading powers: Venetians,
                Genoese, Spanish, and Turks. Starting with 2 galleys, 10 sailors, and
                200 ducats, players move, trade, and battle to try to gain points at
                the games end. The winner is the player with the most points.

                The 4-player games is played in 8 rounds with each round consisting of
                6 phases:

                Phase 1 - The round marker is advanced and an auction held to
                determine who will select their spot in turn order. It is important
                to note that the winner of the auction doesn't automatically go first.
                The winner may decide to go last. It is the selection order that is
                auctioned off.

                Phase 2 - Players may buy trade goods, build additional ships, fortify
                ports, and hire sailors. Each port produces 1 single commodity.
                There are 7 commodities in the game. If a player controls the port
                where he wishes to purchase (or the port is still uncontrolled), the
                price is a fixed 100 ducats. If another player controls the port, a
                brief negotiation can occur between the two players to determine the
                selling price of the good. Should another player have a monopoly in
                that commodity, they can charge a much higher price. But the buyer is
                not obligated to buy, so setting an unrealistically high price runs
                the risk of no sale. Finally, if a player may rearrange goods/sailors
                between ports and galleys that are in the same area.

                Phase 3 - Galleys are moved on the board. Each galley has 5 spots to
                hold either crew or cargo. The speed of each galley is determined by
                the number of sailors onboard. A fast galley might have 4 sailors,
                but only 1 good. A slow galley might have 1 sailor and 4 goods. (As
                an aside, I think we did allow players to rearrange cargo should a
                ship move adjacent to another ship during this phase. However,
                looking at the rules online, I think such rearrangements are only
                allowed in Phase 2. Would be nice to get a clarification from the
                rule book.) Another feature of movement is that ships are allowed to
                move into spaces occupied by other ships, but in order to move through
                an occupied space, the moving ship needs to get permission from the
                player who controls the other ship.

                Phase 4 - Players may (but are not required to) battle. A galley may
                attack another galley in the same space or the port in an attempt to
                take control. The combat mechanic is quite simple. Both the attacker
                and defender roll a single die. They add the number of sailors either
                in the galley or in the port garrison and divide by 3 (rounded down)
                to determine the number of men lost by the other side. For example, a
                galley with 3 sailors rolls a 2 for a total of 5 which rounds down to
                1 sailor lost by the other side. After each roll, the decision is
                made to continue the battle or to stop. Should all the sailors on a
                ship/port be eliminated, the other side has an opportunity to take
                control of the ship/port.

                Phase 5 - Players may move men from their ship into unoccupied ports
                to gain control of that port. Sailors at the port form part of the
                port garrison and help defend the port against future attacks.

                Phase 6 - Players may sell goods from their ship to the warehouses at
                each port. The only restriction is that each warehouse cannot house
                the good produced by that port, nor may the warehouse hold more than 1
                of any single type. Each good in the warehouse must be unique. The
                warehouses come in 3 sizes. Small warehouses can hold just 2 goods.
                Medium warehouses can hold 4 goods. Large warehouses (at the capital
                each player can hold 6 goods. The value of each good sold is higher
                than the previous good by 100 Ducats. Additional, there are potential
                bonuses for opening new markets (selling the first of any type of
                commodity that the player does not produce or already have in one of
                their warehouses).

                These sequence is repeated for the requisite number of turns (8 in the
                case of 4 players). At the end of the final turn, points are added up
                to see who was the best trader. 10 points are awarded for controlling
                one's starting capitol + 1 point for each 500 ducats in hand + 1 point
                for each controlled port without a full warehouse. A full warehouse
                at a small port is worth 2 points. A full warehouse at a medium port
                is worth 5 points. Finally, should a player fill the warehouse at
                their capital they receive an additional 10 points.

                With a 30 minute rules explanation and set-up, we were ready to start
                trading. Our game lasted nearly 3 hours and not many notes were taken
                during the game itself. Jeff played the Spaniards; Sterling, the
                Genoese; Rich the Venetians; and Sean, the Turks. Rich did get a bit
                hemmed in early and never fully managed to keep pace with the leaders.
                Jeff and Sterling were aggressively expanding their networks in the
                western Mediterranean while Sean did a good job in the Eastern
                Mediterranean. Towards, the end game, Rich was 2 commodities short of
                filling his capital's warehouse, but when Rich's ship stopped at an
                Iron port, he discovered that all the iron had been sold, so no more
                iron was to be had. Furthermore, Rich had gemstones on a ship and
                could sell them either to Sterling's nearly full capital or to Jeff's
                nearly empty capital warehouse. After moving his ship to Jeff's
                capital, Rich was quickly surrounded by Sterling's pirate fleet (ships
                with 5 sailors and no cargo) who were determined to capture Rich's
                ship and transport it back to Genoa (which they did do). Sterling
                also had some gold that he decided to sell to Sean. It did net
                Sterling 500 ducats (or 1 additional point for the endgame) and did
                fill Sean's warehouse (+4 points for Sean). Sean also managed to fend
                off a last minute attack to wrest control of Istanbul away from him.

                After 8 turns, the points were counted. Each player still had control
                of their capital city (Sean barely) for 10 points each.

                Next, we counted the controlled ports with unfilled warehouses.
                Sterling had 3 (3 points) to Rich's 2, Jeff's 1, and Sean's 0. Scores
                now sit at Sterling 13, Rich 12, Jeff 11, Sean 10.

                Next, we counted the filled small warehouses. Jeff had 4 for an
                additional 8 points. Sean had 2 for an additional 4 points. Rich had
                for 2 additional points; while Sterling had none. Interim scores:
                Jeff 19, Sean and Rich 14, Sterling 12.

                The filled medium warehouses gave Sterling, Jeff, and Sean each an
                additional 10 points, but Sterling also filled his capital city
                warehouse for an additional 10 points. Scores: Sterling 32, Jeff 29,
                Sean 24, Rich 14.

                Finally, the money points. Sean had actually played part of the game
                thinking that maximum money was the victory condition and had amassed
                16 additional points (at 1 point per 500 ducats) to Rich's 9 points,
                Jeff's 7 points, and Sterling's 5 points.

                Final scores: Sean 40 points, Sterling 38 points, Jeff 36 points, and
                Rich 23 points.

                Interestingly, if Sterling had not sold the gold to Sean, the
                resulting point swing would have given Sterling the win. But at
                least, the tradition of the newcomer victory is maintained as Sean
                walks away with the victory.

                A long session for certain, but probably a bit longer than normal as 3
                of the 4 players were new to the game and there were quite a bit of
                time before the gameplay settled into a rhythm. Given its length, we
                might not see Serenissima hit the table again soon but it was an
                interesting journey to Renaissance Italy for tonight's session.