Wednesday (August 4) Session - Roll Call

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
      Gentlefolks -

      I will be happy to host the session for this Wednesday, 4 August at my
      house in San Ramon. Who else can attend?

      In an attempt to build some anticipation for the game session, here
      are some games I am considering to offer up for vote:

      If 3 or 4 gamers at the table:

      DOS RIOS - let me quote Ward Batty's comment from the Geek: "Settlers
      of Agua" where a river runs through it, two in fact, and you want to
      be near the rivers to score. You have dams, so you can change the
      river's path. This is a nice dynamic of being able to manipulate both
      your pieces and the board. The mechanic of having the next 4 event
      tiles up so everyone can plan for what will happen is a good one. A
      good "gamer's game" that I'm looking forward to playing again.

      All comments seem to indicate this is a very tactical game. Designer
      is Franz-Benno Delonge who also developed Hellas and a little rail
      game called TransAmerica.

      If 4 or 5 gamers at the table:

      POWER GRID - Full version to the requisite number of connections.
      Would like more for the interaction and to bring more areas of the
      game board into play.

      At least that is my thinking at this point. I have considered
      studying up on NAUTILUS and/or GOLDLAND as I would like to try both
      games. But I am concerned about the length of NAUTILUS (especially as
      I have the german version) and the groups might be a bit more
      experienced than I in GOLDLAND. Other candidates that would require
      some preparation and study prior to game night: AGE OF STEAM and/or
      STEPHENSON"S ROCKET. Just to list a few other games that might whet
      (or dry) the appetite for games. If anyone has another idea, by all
      means list it in the reply.

      Finally, I am considering ordering a few games from Funagain to take
      advantage of the Buy 2, Get 1 Free offer. Problem is I have only 1
      (perhaps 2) that I really would like. Any additional games (ie the
      freebie) would be forced add-on to the order. If anyone has a game
      they were considering, perhaps we can combine an order and both come
      out ahead by saving on both the games and on the shipping. Drop me a
      note (off-list is probably best) if anyone is interested.

      Rich
    • Sterling
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
        I will be there.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • David Wilson
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2004
          I'll be there. Power Grid intrigues me, for sure. It's an auction
          game that I liked in our learning session, and I don't often say
          "auction" and "like" in the same sentence. Dos Rios I'm curious about,
          though I've also read some comments to the effect of "the board changes
          so much from your one turn to your next that planning is rarely
          useful." That certainly agrees with your "tactical" assessment.
          Generally, though, I like tactical, so this could work pretty well.

          I'm surprised you haven't played Goldland, though I can't say why I'm
          surprised. It's come out once at TVB and once at Jim's, and I guess
          you missed both sessions I can't say how big the learning curve is on
          it, but I can say that in both games the experienced player did win.
          Nautilus I've played once, and I liked it, but the game length
          concerned me some. I didn't mind it, but I didn't think I'd get to
          play it often enough to justify the purchase. Still, I'd be quite
          willing to give it a go. I believe there are some good player aids for
          it on the 'geek.

          I'll probably bring Settlers of the Stone Age for 3-4, and Streetcar
          for 5.

          Dave Wilson

          On Sunday, August 1, 2004, at 07:25 PM, Richard Pardoe wrote:

          > Gentlefolks -
          >
          > I will be happy to host the session for this Wednesday, 4 August at my
          > house in San Ramon. Who else can attend?
          >
          > In an attempt to build some anticipation for the game session, here
          > are some games I am considering to offer up for vote:
          >
          > If 3 or 4 gamers at the table:
          >
          > DOS RIOS - let me quote Ward Batty's comment from the Geek: "Settlers
          > of Agua" where a river runs through it, two in fact, and you want to
          > be near the rivers to score. You have dams, so you can change the
          > river's path. This is a nice dynamic of being able to manipulate both
          > your pieces and the board. The mechanic of having the next 4 event
          > tiles up so everyone can plan for what will happen is a good one. A
          > good "gamer's game" that I'm looking forward to playing again.
          >
          > All comments seem to indicate this is a very tactical game. Designer
          > is Franz-Benno Delonge who also developed Hellas and a little rail
          > game called TransAmerica.
          >
          > If 4 or 5 gamers at the table:
          >
          > POWER GRID - Full version to the requisite number of connections.
          > Would like more for the interaction and to bring more areas of the
          > game board into play.
          >
          > At least that is my thinking at this point. I have considered
          > studying up on NAUTILUS and/or GOLDLAND as I would like to try both
          > games. But I am concerned about the length of NAUTILUS (especially as
          > I have the german version) and the groups might be a bit more
          > experienced than I in GOLDLAND. Other candidates that would require
          > some preparation and study prior to game night: AGE OF STEAM and/or
          > STEPHENSON"S ROCKET. Just to list a few other games that might whet
          > (or dry) the appetite for games. If anyone has another idea, by all
          > means list it in the reply.
          >
          > Finally, I am considering ordering a few games from Funagain to take
          > advantage of the Buy 2, Get 1 Free offer. Problem is I have only 1
          > (perhaps 2) that I really would like. Any additional games (ie the
          > freebie) would be forced add-on to the order. If anyone has a game
          > they were considering, perhaps we can combine an order and both come
          > out ahead by saving on both the games and on the shipping. Drop me a
          > note (off-list is probably best) if anyone is interested.
          >
          > Rich
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Fritz Schwartz
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2004
            I can make it this Wednesday night.  Usually I have a commitment in SF every Wednesday night but I've got some free time this month due to others' vacation plans.  Power Grid gets my vote, though just about any train game would be acceptable, too.
                                                                                                                                   Fritz

            Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...> wrote:
[...]

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/grQolB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • David Wallace
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
              Tonight is one of the nights where I can only come if I bring Kern.
              I mentioned to him this morning, and told him what I was able
              to learn about "Power Grid" off the net, figuring that he probably
              wouldn't be interested, and that we would just stay home tonight.
              He surprised me by being enthusiastic about coming and giving
              the game a try. So it looks like we'll be coming tonight.

              One thing I noticed in the rules I downloaded off Boardgamegeek
              was that they suggest playing a short learning game (just step
              1, through 7 connected cities) if there are first-time players
              involved, since the consequences of an early mistake can
              be hard to overcome. Would it work to play a short learning
              game followed by the full-length game tonight? That way,
              it would give us both a chance to try the game and decide
              whether he's up for a full-length game by himself, playing
              together with me, or just entertaining himself while we play
              (I plan to bring alternate entertainment for him in case
              he wants to bail).

              He also asked that I bring along some of the lighter card
              games we have - not Bohnanza, but Man Bites Dog (headline
              making game) and Fluxx. I'm not sure if there would be
              time for a card game if we are doing both a learning and
              full-length game of Power Grid, but if so, then maybe
              we could split into a couple of groups if some want
              to play something more serious.

              Dave Wallace
            • Pardoe, Richard (RPardoe)
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                Dave,

                Glad to hear that we might have 6 at the table tonight.

                In response to your question - Dave W, Sterling, and I did play the learning game of PowerGrid at the TVG session of June 9th. Even though shorter than the "full-game", it was still very time consuming as we were all getting used the game mechanism and what to bid for the power plants up for auction. When we were done, we had only time to play a card game of Kathai to round out the evening. So I suspect that the plan of 2 games of Power Grid in one night might be a bit too ambitious for this evening. (If you are curious, the session report is in the Yahoo archives for this list and also up on BGG).

                While we have discussed the game on the list, it is not the "official" game for tonight as we have yet to vote on the game. I would like to play the game that is most agreeable to all and not just the game that has generated the most buzz on the list prior to our get-together. So I would not be surprised that a different game captures the most votes tonight, especially as there may be as many as 6 games offered up for consideration.

                Rich Pardoe
              • David Wallace
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                  Thanks, Rich. It seemed to me that there was more than just discussion
                  of Power Grid in
                  email - it looked like a consensus to me. If it really is a consensus,
                  then the vote
                  is likely to be superfluous, but you are right that people may decide
                  differently on the spot.
                  I think that either approach is a valid way to decide what to
                  play. Voting at the meeting does allow for more flexibility to
                  accomodate how many
                  people come and what games people bring. But deciding ahead of time in
                  email
                  lets us look up the game ahead of time, which may save time getting started,
                  and lets us make a more considered decision about whether we want to play
                  that game.

                  I hadn't read that particular session report before, so I didn't realize
                  the learning game
                  would take so long. In that case, us newbies may just have to rely on
                  the advice
                  of the group to keep us from making flagrantly bad moves in the
                  beginning of the
                  game, and see how it goes.

                  Dave Wallace
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                    A full table tonight as we peaked at 6 gamers.

                    Sterling was the first to arrive and with 2, Rich and Sterling decided
                    to explore Africa while waiting for the others to arrive. Sound
                    familiar, well, we did the same thing back on June 14th. As that
                    session report has the game overview, I can jump straight into the
                    game play summary (which might actually take longer to type than the
                    game itself did.)

                    Rich was feeling pretty good as he had his last four cards in a nice
                    natural progression, so needed only to tweak the first 6 in his rack.
                    Sterling played first picking up the Congo (a key central country with
                    numerous connections) and discarding Liberia. Just what Rich needed
                    to complete spot #6 (giving Rich 5 of the necessary 10 connections).
                    The game proceeded apace with Sterling picking up a few countries
                    (mostly from the Southern part of the country) and Rich getting his
                    rack aligned to need just one country. Skimmers of the last report
                    will remember that Rich confused orange and yellow that time. Well
                    history repeats itself as Rich again was looking for a yellow country
                    to connect to an orange aircraft landing in the Ivory Coast. Rich did
                    catch the error, but it did mean that Rich needed Mozambique as the
                    connection between the aircraft and Zambia. (Namibia having been
                    buried in the discard stacks.) Needing a specific country, especially
                    one where you opponent has picked up cards is not the most effective
                    way to win and Sterling promptly demonstrated that by winning shortly
                    after Dave arrived.

                    Interestingly, the last time we played 10 Days in Africa, the other
                    Dave W and his son Kern attended the session and tonight was the same.
                    Furthermore, we were joined by Fritz who had joined some of the group
                    at Jim's game nights on Fridays. This brought us to 6 players for the
                    evening. The buzz building into the evening was to explore Power
                    Grid, but with concerns about game length, we settled for another game
                    by the same designer: Finstere Flure.

                    With 6 players, each player as 3 characters fleeing through the
                    foreboding floors in fright. We had tried to set up the board in the
                    suggested manner in the rule book, but found just as we started that
                    we had reversed the references to entrance and exit, so had a bit of a
                    mirror image plan to move through. The biggest change is that the
                    monster is more likely to head straight for the wall opposite its
                    starting space and teleport to the bottom row of the hall...which is
                    exactly what the monster did. The first turn saw the players fill the
                    entrance triangle. Once everyone realize the monster was about to
                    appear on Row M (the bottom row of the board), there was a mass
                    migration up the halls. The first temporary causalities were after
                    the monster's third move where Kern and Dave was lost a character due
                    to the double-cross tile of the monster. The monster was now
                    breathing hot and heavy against the rest of the players.

                    The next turn saw many people maneuver their tokens behind the monster
                    hoping to capitalize on the monster's tendency to move forward and
                    reverse only with effort (and lured there). Dave had the final
                    character move and could have placed his player just to the side of
                    the monster which might have eliminated 5 tokens hiding behind the
                    monster in addition to the self-sacrifice. Instead, the monster was
                    lured further up capturing a token from Dave, Dave W, and Rich. I
                    suspect that Dave's plan was to lure the monster towards the S wall
                    and teleport back to the other side of the board where Dave W and
                    Sterling had advanced a couple of tokens. The plan nearly worked with
                    the monster moving 8 and stopping 1 space short of catching Sterling's
                    and Dave W's piece.

                    The next turn saw the monster get the single cross and march ever
                    forward until it eliminated Sterling's piece. At this point, there
                    were 4 tokens ready to exit the hall and in the next turn, Kern was
                    the first to exit a token. Kern's token was followed quickly by Dave
                    and Dave W's first tokens out the door. By this time, Rich had a
                    couple of pieces nearing the exit. One that would exit in the next
                    turn and the other in 2 turns provided the monster was not lured
                    towards the exit. To ensure that did not happen, Rich sacrificed his
                    trailing piece to lure the monster away from the exit. As the monster
                    needed to move 10 spaces, Dave W and Kern also lost a token. The next
                    turn saw Rich exit his first piece and move his second 3 away from the
                    exit with a move of 4. A couple of other players had their second
                    token ready to escape, but Rich came up first in turn order and exited
                    quickly to claim the win.

                    Fritz had to leave at this time, still leaving us with 5 players ready
                    to play another game. Kern offered up Man Bites Dog. This is a game
                    where players are dealt 5 cards with various words and attempt to form
                    newspaper (more properly tabloid) headlines for points. Each card has
                    a point value and players may discard up to 3 cards in an attempt to
                    improve the hand. There are also Exclusive cards in the deck that
                    double the point value of the headline formed. Headlines formed are
                    of the sort: Naked Judge Flees Blind Lawyer. The game itself plays
                    fairly quickly with much of the amusement gained from the headlines
                    formed. 4 quick rounds saw Sterling take the game with 585 points
                    followed by Dave W with 480 and Kern with 430. The other 2 players
                    suffered from a bad round each. Rich was saddled with a hand of 5
                    point cards and scored 25 (and a final score of 375) while Dave was
                    saddled with a hand without a verb and scored a goose-egg (and a final
                    score of 300).

                    We had just a bit of time left and decided to bring out Bang! for a
                    quick final filler. Rules were explained and roles were assigned.
                    Rich was Jesse Jones, the sheriff. Kern drew one of the nastier
                    characters, Willy the Kid - which allowed him to play multiple bangs
                    in a turn. As Willy doesn't have the range limitation of the
                    volcanic, Willy can be a very dangerous character to face. Rich (as
                    Sheriff) played first and despite a handful of bangs and the Volcanic,
                    didn't want to wing his only deputy by mistake, so played the Volcanic
                    and passed the play to Dave. Dave promptly panicked a few cards from
                    Kern's hand and then shot at Kern. (As Dave did not do anything to
                    the sheriff, like Panic the volcanic, the sheriff begins to suspect
                    that Dave might not be an outlaw). Dave W shot at Sterling and
                    Sterling shot at Rich after removing the volcanic. Suspecting that
                    Sterling wasn't on the sheriff's side, Rich shot back, hitting
                    Sterling. Dave then Gatling'd the group hitting Sterling again. Dave
                    W again fired at Sterling (another hit). And Rich fired the last shot
                    which ousted Sterling and revealed him as an outlaw. Dave was still
                    nervous about Willy the Kid (Kern) next to him and proceeded to jail
                    and hit Kern who was eliminated and revealed as the other outlaw.

                    This left Dave, Dave W, and Rich in the game. One Dave was the
                    renegade and the other the deputy. At this point in the game, it is
                    the renegade's goal is to kill first the deputy and then the sheriff
                    to get the win while the deputy's goal is to kill the renegade to get
                    the win. No one was firing at the Sheriff - who had a hand of 3
                    missed's and 2 beers, so felt pretty safe. In fact, just for fun, the
                    sheriff threw out the dynamite as he certainly could survive it's
                    blast. As the Sheriff sat back, the two Dave's traded rounds. Dave's
                    character was El Gringo who takes a card from a player's hand each
                    time he is hit. So even though Dave W was inflicting some damage on
                    Dave, his hand was being depleted rapidly. In the end, Dave (the
                    deputy) eliminated Dave W (the renegade) securing a win for the law.
                    As it happened both outlaws were sitting next to the law who in turn
                    were sitting next to each other (and could guard at least one side).
                    This probably made it a bit difficult for the outlaws to work together
                    to get the sheriff...imagine how different the result might have been
                    if the outlaws had sandwiched the sheriff).

                    A very active night with 4 games played.

                    Rich Pardoe