Re: [trivalleygamers] Session report for April 28

  • Pardoe, Richard (RPardoe)
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 29, 2004
      > Streetsoccer
      > (what *does* happen if the ball would go out of bounds?)

      Having played a game on Little Golem (http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/games/gamedetail.jsp?gtid=soccer), I looked for such a situation. The advantage of Little Golem is that it calculates the possible moves (easing a bit of the thought process), but the disadvantage is that it doesn't show how the end squares are derived. As a result, when back on manual with a physical (instead of electronic) board in the middle a bit more thought about the moves.

      Fortunately, as I played the game, I did come across a similar situation to the one that Dave and I faced last night. The answer appears to be: "Illegal move" can't be done. In other words, the ball doesn't bounce off the sideline or travel out of bounds. The players needs to find a move that allows the ball to travel using all the available pips while staying inbounds. Sometimes, the ball on its single diversion (ball spin) can travel along the sideline, but once that diversion is made, only contact by another piece can adjust the ball's direction. Guess the Street Soccer players have better ball control than your normal players.

      In retrospect, I think this ruling makes sense as one cannot kick the ball into an opponents piece. The sidelines are just another barricade to be navigated around. If anyone is interested in a Little Golem game, I am player "R Pardoe" (original isn't it?)