Session Report - November 19, 2003

  • Michael Campbell
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2003
      We played one game last night: Amun Re

      Amun Re (Sterling 44**/Michael 43/Jeff 38/Dave Wilson 30/Sean
      Youngquist 30)- This is a well-balanced game which requires players
      to manage their resources (power cards, farms, temples, and
      construction materials)while trying to stay ahead in the race to
      build pyramids. It is definitely a better game with a full
      complement of five players.

      The game is divided into two scoring rounds - the Old Kingdom and
      the New Kingdom. At the end of the Old Kingdom, I had a commanding
      lead at 26 points with Sterling the nearest at 17 points. I had
      three temples, a 9 Farmer power card and the most pyramids on both
      sides of the Nile (a tie with Sterling on one side). This effort
      left me undercapitilized and I wasn't able to keep up the spending
      momentum in the New Kingdom. Sterling played a well-balanced second
      half, gaining two temples and some choice provinces. In the end, he
      locked up victory by purchasing a last pyramid to give him the "Most
      Pyramids" bonus on the west side of the nile. Dave Wilson had the
      most pyramids on the east side with 4.

      I think you have to play this game a couple of times to get the
      rhythym of the gameplay (in other words...don't give up on this game
      Dave and Sean...I finished last in my first playing). All-in-all, I
      think Amun-Re has some depth worth exploring.

      ** denotes winner

      NEXT SESSION - No game next week. Next session scheduled for
      December 3, 2003 at my house. Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2003
        --- In trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Campbell"
        <michael@m...> wrote:
        > We played one game last night: Amun Re

        <snip>

        > I think you have to play this game a couple of times to get the
        > rhythym of the gameplay (in other words...don't give up on this
        game
        > Dave and Sean...I finished last in my first playing).

        That was my conclusion, too. Just for starters, I know I undervalued
        the power cards early in the game, and that set me way back. It
        doesn't help that I struggle with auction games in general, anyway.

        Dave Wilson