Post Game Comments - 1 May - Island Fortress

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2013

      The game starts with a blank wall in front of us, so player work to get their necessary workers and building materials to start construction.  With so much open space it does feel a bit like solitaire as folks are free to develop wherever they wish.  But as the wall gets built up, players are forced into the same vanishing area and the competition/timing to finish a row for bonuses starts to heat up.  With players building in open areas (a tad unopposed) it was possible to gain the bonuses from the favor card, but as there are three regions of the wall and four players one player might get squeezed out and in this game it appeared to be Dave who struggled to get more of his favor tiles completed.  Once the final end game bonuses were added in the final scores were:

      Jeff: 48; Tim and Rich: 46 each; Dave: 37

      I will admit, I found the early part of the game interesting as I was building up my resources and planning how to score.  But once I had done so about Turn 5, felt as if that was it for my game and the last few turns were more about eking out points here and there and positioning for the end game.  Our game did end at Turn 8 with the wall completed, but it felt like we knew this was coming earlier and everyone just started maxing for end-game points.  With that feeling, the game felt a bit long for what it was and I don’t know if that was just our unfamiliarity with the game, a certain routine in the actions by mid-game, or something else.  Perhaps it plays a bit cleaner and faster with 3 (and only 2 region tiles) as it might be easier to play for the various majorities.  I certainly wouldn’t mind another go at the game, but wonder if anyone else has the same inclination to do so.