Session Reports

  • Sterling Wright
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 1998
      I've been thinking about starting up session reports again. The only
      drawback to me doing them is I lack the ability to command the English
      language. If these turn out to be too gruesome to read, let me know and
      I'll stop. I'm mainly doing this because I want to start keeping our web
      page up to date. :) Our next meeting is December 30th. I'm dog sitting
      for Scott, so we can meet at his place.

      TVB SESSION REPORT FOR DECEMBER 16, 1998

      WHO WAS THERE:

      Mike, Scott, Kevin, and Sterling

      WHAT WE PLAYED:

      Euphrat And Tigress, Before I Kill You Mr. Bond

      GAME DESCRIPTIONS:

      Euphrat and Tigris

      We started with this game because it was only supposed to take 90 minutes,
      it ended up lasting most of the evening. This is an abstract game where
      each player plays a faction of four leaders trying to influence the kingdoms
      that spring up around the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. By having influence
      over a kingdom as it expands, or winning influence through conflict, the
      players collect four types of victory points. The winner is the player that
      has the most victory points in his weakest type. I like this game because
      it requires that the player balance his earnings in all four victory point
      types. If a player concentrates on one or two, the remaining will be left
      behind and that player will lose. The board changes quite quickly (I think
      Mike would say too quickly) so the players need to be able to change their
      strategy at the drop of a hat. Often a move you were planning for a turn
      or two will be made totally ineffective by someone else's move. After three
      hours, we exhausted the supply of tiles and counted victory points with Me
      winning, Scott coming in second, Mike third, and Kevin last. (If I have
      this wrong, let me know and I'll change it before I add it to the web page.

      Before I Kill You Mr. Bond

      We decided to play a mindless quick game after the last one. Mike had just
      made a big order from cheap-ass games and I think 2 or 3 of us ended up with
      a copy of Before I Kill You Mr. Bond. This game is both mindless and quick
      so it was an obvious choice. This amusing little card game has been played
      at TVB so many times I think it has probably beaten Settlers and Air Baron
      for the game most played. In it the players play arch villans creating
      lairs to trap and kill spies in. A player's lair is destroyed if a spy or
      group of spies enter it with a strength greater than that of the lair. This
      game is one of the first I've seen where doubler used often. We even had
      one spy doubled 3 times to 16 points. As usual with this game, the luckiest
      one there won. On this night it just happened to be me. :)
    • Mark.E.Johnson@pobox.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 23, 1998
        >From: "Sterling Wright" <greendragon1@...>
        >
        >I've been thinking about starting up session reports again.

        Great! My experience with these is that they almost never generated any
        discusion or feedback, but I felt they were worthwhile anyway. Would've
        been even more so if I'd done as well with the website or r.g.b postings
        the way Greg Schloesser does with his Westback Gamers reports.

        Sometimes describing the game mechanics are the most bulky and
        time-consuming part. If some readers don't know the game in question then
        they're still valuable, otherwise I'm not sure. An email gamer friend of
        mine from the Boston area uses a different sort of format I think reads
        well, probably smoother than mine. Here, I'll see if I can copy an older
        one into this message...