Post Game Comments - 20 Mar - SPACE CADETS

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2013

      Thank goodness for a large table.  With all the various playmats, cards, and tokens in addition to the central map tiles, SPACE CADETS needs a large area to set-up for play.  We did decide to skip the training missions and dive right into the first regular mission in the rules.  Our ship must navigate a 2x3 sector of space to claim 3 crystals while facing 6 (and Nemesis) enemy ships.  We did pluck the first one relatively easily, suffering some light damage, but as the game wore on it seemed that all our damage was occurring on the Port Shield(*).  This eventually did lead to a core breach which we failed to repair on our first attempt – game over.  But by this time, we were only 4 (of 6 tiles) into the map and Nemesis had appeared, so I suspect we were doing things with a bit of new player slowness adding to our deleterious results.

      The iPad app did help with the timing issues (though I do wish the screens had some sort of pop-up or text overlay that could be called up as desired to help prompt new players).  Obviously, the players do need to work together a bit in terms of desired energy and efforts in the various stations to coordinate any sort of attack or lock on the desired targets.  I suspect that will only come with more practice and experience in the game.  And I imagine we would do things a bit differently next time now that we have a sense of the flow of the game.  It will need (as I noted) a larger play area as well as the ability to be a bit loud as there will be frequent discussions in the game.

      -          Rich

      (*) Dave and I did review the rule wording after the game and the rift (and asteroids) would impact the ship.  The term “shield” seems to be used to mean a sector of the ship.  Shield POINTS in that sector will absorb some damage with the remaining damage hitting the ship.  So moving through a rift and the asteroids will not just deplete shield points.