Game Suggestion - 20 Mar - Space Cadets (or) Tammany Hall?

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013

      Well, all the games I had been thinking about seem to max out with four players, so have to come up with a new list for the 5 we appear to have around the table tomorrow night.  While I wouldn’t mind Pax Porfiriana again (just to see how the Topples work with more than 3 players), I have heard it can run long with 5.  A game I have been saving for a larger player count that might work tomorrow night is SPACE CADETS.  From BGG:

      It's your lifelong dream – to join the Star Patrol and be part of the crew of an interstellar Starship. You've worked hard, graduated from the academy, and received your first assignment as part of a team of young recruits, confident in your training and ready to be put to the test. Nothing can possibly go wrong as you are prepared for anything...

      You are the Space Cadets.

      Space Cadets is a fun and frantic cooperative game for 3-6 players who take on the roles of Bridge Officers of a Starship. Each officer must accomplish his specific task in order for the team to successfully complete the mission. You might be the...

      ·         Helmsman, plotting the ship's course through asteroid fields and nebulae.

      ·         Engineer, using dominoes to get enough power to each system.

      ·         Weapons Officer, completing puzzles to load the torpedoes and flicking a disc down a track to launch them.

      ·         Shield Officer, using tiles to form poker hands to get the strongest shields.

      ·         Sensor Officer, using your sense of touch to scan and lock on enemy targets.

      ·         Captain, setting the plan and making sure that everyone stays focused and does their job.

      If your crew can work together to accomplish the mission goals, you just might make it home in one piece.

      Any resemblance to Star Trek is purely satirical.  I haven’t quite finalized on this but did want to see if there are any strong objections to this game.  The other 5P game that I am considering (if there are objections to Space Cadets) is TAMMANY HALL.

      Please let me know (either via the list or privately if you prefer) if you have any thoughts on either of these suggestions.

      -          Rich

    • registerlad
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013
        Hey guys,

        I can't make it tomorrow, but I can tell you that both games are very good. Space Cadets I think is amazing, but fair warning... Rich you'll want to be very comfortable with the rules because it's a bit fiddly the first play. It's more complex than it seems... at least at first.

        Tammany Hall is very good, but can also be very mean. You're all at each other's throats the whole game.

        I'd love to join you guys as both games are so good. :-( If I had to choose one, I'd rather play Space Cadets. It is Star Trek without the expensive licensing agreement.

        Have fun without me!

        -Dan

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013
          Dan -

          Thanks for the comments. In fact, Space Cadets was the game I just finished
          punching and sorting - getting the various bits grouped together by
          "station". I have read the rules twice already and will go through them one
          more time before tomorrow's game. I also noticed some nice player aides on
          the geek that summarize each station. I fully expect we will die a 'orrible
          death in our first game then re-launch the game with a younger, hipper crew.

          --- In trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Pardoe" <RPardoe@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 20, 2013
            In case you weren't aware, there are some great station tutorials on YouTube

            Better yet, there is a FANTASTIC iOS app put out by Stronghold Games that has a Space Cadets timer. I would never play without the app, now that I have it. It also has links to the YouTube videos built into it.

            Lastly, there are two official "Alpha" and "Beta" missions on BGG. They ease you into the game. I'd recommend them.

            Have fun!