Postgame Comments - 13 Mar - TZOLK'IN

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2013

      While we had hoped to try out TZOLK’IN with four players, a last minute change in plans resulted in only three players.  So off came a monument, some of the fields/woods, and the workers were assigned to the gears as “dummy players”.  As it turned out, 4 of the 6 workers ended up on the Yellow Uxmal gear.

      As Tim summarized – there are basically three ways to gain points in the game.  There is the Chichen Itza gear (using Crystal skulls) which Rich focused on.  There is advancement up the temple tracks which Jeff focused on.  There is completing buildings and monuments for end game (monument) points which Tim focused on.  As an aside, we are interested in four player as that means that at least one of the VP areas would likely be under competition from 2 players.  As with the last game, gameplay flows fairly quickly as players are either placing pawns in anticipation of future actions or pulling pawns to take current actions.   I did make the mistake of pulling meeples on the penultimate turn as that meant I could only place on the final turn of the game for no gain at all.  Oh well, another lesson learned towards our (possible) next play of the game:

      Tim:  75  (scoring some 30+ from his end game monuments) /  Jeff: 61 (scoring his temples twice at game’s end) / Rich: 57 (2 Skulls placed on the 13 and 11 spot)

      Points over all were a bit better this time around (and certainly a lot closer).  The key still seems to be setting up combinations of meeples so that when pulled they yield a very positive turn.  Tim did manage to run out of corn, appeal to the gods twice (losing spots on the temples) in order to construct two (or was it three?) buildings in one turn.  Nicely played.

      -          Rich