Game Suggestion - 5 Dec - Ruhrschifffahrt

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
      Game Suggestion - 5 Dec - Ruhrschifffahrt

      Yes, I am early with this tonight, but figured I could get the ball rolling early today.  I realize only one person has responded and if that is all there is for tomorrow night, I will bring out A Few Acres of Snow (or) Revolver as the game.  I suspect I wont need to do that as I am thinking one or two more folks might be able to make it.  And Ive always wanted to  play a game with three Fs in a row in its name.

      Ruhrschifffahrt is a pick-up and deliver game with historical styling.  As one makes deliveries, one gets a research (development) point.  Getting certain points allows one to receive upgrades and additional abilities.  One overview on the geek does suggest this has a bit of classic Wallace about it.   And this plays up to 4 players.

      Now, if anyone is looking to read the rules online be forewarned, they are a mess of bad organization when first read.  It took me a couple of readings and then punching the game to reach my Aha moment and realize the game is much, much simpler than the thick rulebook implies.  If anyone does want to read up on the game ahead of time, I would suggest a couple of BGG submissions:

      The first is a high level overview of the rules with better flow:

      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/9uxxl0i4nl/Ruhrschifffahrt_Player_Aid.pdf

      The second is a graphic aide:

      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/9t8hg9ss64/PA_1.4_Combined_%28Reduced%29.pdf

      but that has some comments that folks cant download (worked for me), so it has been split as:

      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/9u27s21yo4/Ruhrschiffarht_1769-1890_Player_Aid_1.5_Side_1_Single_Layer.pdf

      &

      http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/9u2p0sfnbi/Ruhrschiffarht_1769-1890_Player_Aid_1.5_Side_2_Single_Layer.pdf

      Of course, if we suddenly get an outpouring of attendance tonight, I will update with a better suggestion a bit later.

      Spent the day erecting the worlds largest kitty toy full of presents that can be gotten by swiping them off the branches (or at least that is what the cat thinks).  But fun and games seems to be a good idea for Wednesday night as well.  Ready to host once more.

      Thoughts this week I am still interested in trying out Pax Porfiriana (aka Lords of the Sierra Madre Cardgame by Phil Eklund) PP plays 3-5 players, so fits nicely with the typical turnout.  Have a few other games as well so lets get a headcount and work choices from there.  Please let me know by Tuesday evening if you think you might attend…

    • registerlad
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
        It is unlikely that I will be able to make it. But I shall hold out hope and reserve the right to show up with a bit of notice :-)

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
          Yes, I'll be there. Sorry about the late reply.

          > Yes, I am early with this tonight, but figured I could get the ball rolling
          > early today. I realize only one person has responded and if that is all
          > there is for tomorrow night, I will bring out A Few Acres of Snow (or)
          > Revolver as the game. I suspect I won't need to do that as I am thinking
          > one or two more folks might be able to make it. And I've always wanted to
          > play a game with three F's in a row in its name.
          >
          > Ruhrschifffahrt is a pick-up and deliver game with historical styling. As
          > one makes deliveries, one gets a research (development) point. Getting
          > certain points allows one to receive upgrades and additional abilities. One
          > overview on the geek does suggest this has a bit of "classic Wallace" about
          > it. And this plays up to 4 players.
          >
          > Now, if anyone is looking to read the rules online - be forewarned, they are
          > a mess of bad organization when first read. It took me a couple of readings
          > and then punching the game to reach my Aha moment and realize the game is
          > much, much simpler than the thick rulebook implies. If anyone does want to
          > read up on the game ahead of time, I would suggest a couple of BGG
          > submissions:
          >
          > The first is a high level overview of the rules with better flow:
          > http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/9uxxl0i4nl/Ruhrschifffahrt_Player
          > _Aid.pdf
          >
          > The second is a graphic aide:
          > http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/9t8hg9ss64/PA_1.4_Combined_%28Red
          > uced%29.pdf
          >
          > but that has some comments that folks can't download (worked for me), so it
          > has been split as:
          >
          > http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/9u27s21yo4/Ruhrschiffarht_1769-18
          > 90_Player_Aid_1.5_Side_1_Single_Layer.pdf
          >
          > &
          >
          > http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/9u2p0sfnbi/Ruhrschiffarht_1769-18
          > 90_Player_Aid_1.5_Side_2_Single_Layer.pdf
          >
          > Of course, if we suddenly get an outpouring of attendance tonight, I will
          > update with a better suggestion a bit later.

        • David Wallace
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2012
            With an opportunity to see a bit of "classic Wallace," how can I
            resist? I'll plan on being there.

            Dave W.

          • David Wallace
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 5, 2012
              Much as I wanted to come tonight, I've got an important project at the
              office that I need to wrap up tonight, so I don't think I can make it
              after all. Sorry about the late cancellation.

              Dave W.