Invitation to Games - 5 Sep

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2012
      Invitation to Games - 5 Sep

      LAST WEEK:

      Only three around the table, but we continued with the suggestion of HELVETIA Players each have a small Swiss village which produces goods from occupied buildings.  As the game progresses, additional buildings can be added, but would need to be staffed by additional people.  These people are the children of couples in his village.  As a child grows up, he (or she) will attend school from which it can be married into another players village (to gain access to the good produced by the building it now occupies) or it comes back to the village to possibly staff built but unoccupied buildings in the village.  As many goods are production chains (produce water which is needed to produce a goat which is needed to produce cheese), players are seeking to keep their production efficient.  The game ends when a player has scored 20 points at the end a round.  Points are available from certain buildings, from taking goods to market, with bonus points for being the first for some goods as well as having delivered all the goods in certain sections.  The three of us seemed to be moving up the points track pretty evenly for the first half of the game, but it seemed that Tim and Rich were doing just a bit better gaining goods from their villagers that had been married into other villages.  Using a combination of several villages, Rich managed to build a Mill (3 VPs) as well as take Goat leather to market (4 VPs) to hit the 20 VP threshold.  Tim made a good effort to score additional points as well before the game ended.  Rich: 23 / Tim: 20 / Dave: 12.

      With time left over, we brought out STICHELN, an interesting trick taking game where every other colour is a trump colour.  Players gain points for cards taken except for cards in a self-chosen misery colour which are negative points.  Needless to say, there is a lot to think about in how to play out a hand and experience really counts in this game.  Daves experience was pretty evident in the final scores:  Dave: 33 / Tim: 18 / Rich:  8

      THIS WEEK:

      I can host again this Wednesday.  I believe we have some teasers for possible attendees that havent been around in a while, so I will leave off any suggestions until we have a firmer head count Please RSVP by Tuesday night so that I can post an appropriate suggestion for Wednesdays games.

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2012

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2012
          Is it too late to reply? I can make it tomorrow. See you all then.

          > Only three around the table, but we continued with the suggestion of
          > HELVETIA. Players each have a small Swiss village which produces goods from
          > occupied buildings. As the game progresses, additional buildings can be
          > added, but would need to be staffed by additional people. These people are
          > the children of couples in his village. As a child grows up, he (or she)
          > will attend school from which it can be married into another player's
          > village (to gain access to the good produced by the building it now
          > occupies) or it comes back to the village to possibly staff built but
          > unoccupied buildings in the village. As many goods are production chains
          > (produce water which is needed to produce a goat which is needed to produce
          > cheese), players are seeking to keep their production efficient. The game
          > ends when a player has scored 20 points at the end a round. Points are
          > available from certain buildings, from taking goods to market, with bonus
          > points for being the first for some goods as well as having delivered all
          > the goods in certain sections. The three of us seemed to be moving up the
          > points track pretty evenly for the first half of the game, but it seemed
          > that Tim and Rich were doing just a bit better gaining goods from their
          > villagers that had been married into other villages. Using a combination of
          > several villages, Rich managed to build a Mill (3 VPs) as well as take Goat
          > leather to market (4 VPs) to hit the 20 VP threshold. Tim made a good
          > effort to score additional points as well before the game ended. Rich: 23 /
          > Tim: 20 / Dave: 12.
          > With time left over, we brought out STICHELN, an interesting trick taking
          > game where every other colour is a trump colour. Players gain points for
          > cards taken except for cards in a self-chosen misery colour which are
          > negative points. Needless to say, there is a lot to think about in how to
          > play out a hand and experience really counts in this game. Dave's
          > experience was pretty evident in the final scores: Dave: 33 / Tim: 18 /
          > Rich: 8
          > THIS WEEK:
          > I can host again this Wednesday. I believe we have some teasers for
          > possible attendees that haven't been around in a while, so I will leave off
          > any suggestions until we have a firmer head count. Please RSVP by Tuesday
          > night so that I can post an appropriate suggestion for Wednesday's games.

        • registerlad
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 4, 2012
            Hey all,

            I hope to make it tomorrow.