Re: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 29 Aug

  • Scot Melville
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2012
      I miss you guys, can't do this week, but next week I'll get a trip going to see everyone again :)

      - Scot

      From: Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...>
      Subject: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 29 Aug
      To: trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, August 26, 2012, 9:26 PM

      LAST WEEK:

      With four around the table, we did bring out a couple of smaller games.  First up was NOTRE DAME, an older Feld design which was mentioned at the end of last weeks Trajan game.  Typical of Feld designs, one is limited in the actions one would like to do.  In this game, that is driven by a deck of all available actions.  Players choose three cards per round, decide on one action, then pass the other two cards to the left neighbour.  Do this again with the two cards received, and keep the last card received.  (Yes, this had 7 Wonders style drafting before 7 Wonders guess this wasnt that uncommon of a mechanic.)  From the three cards in hand, players will choose two actions to play in a round.   Of several possible actions, players will tend to focus on trying to maximize a few as repeated visits to an action generally results in larger and larger payouts with each visit.  The game does offer a few ways to garner points so players have some freedom to pursue a desire path.  Dave seemed to pursue the point chit payout path.  Tim and Rich went for area majorities at Notre Dame Cathedral.  Dan seemed to do well in the park, garnering extra points along the way.  At games end, the scores were: Tim 65 / Rich 55 / Dave 43 / Dan 39.

      With time left over, we tried out STRING RAILWAY, a game where rail tracks are represented by lengths of string each player has.  Starting from a corner in the field, players will draw a station tile, place it in the field and then lay out their track (string) to make connections to the various stations in the field scoring points for doing so.  Creative track placement can block out other players or impede their progress towards points.  I noticed that much like Blokus early play seems to be towards the center followed by trying to backfill for points.  At games end, the scores were: Dave 28 / Tim 27 / Dan 25 / Rich 24.

      THIS WEEK:

      Looking ahead, I can host again this Wednesday I have a couple of games in mind for a modest turn out:  Helvetia (4 players) and Tammany Hall (5 players).  If we have more or less than those numbers, will adjust accordingly.   Please RSVP by Tuesday night so that I can post an appropriate suggestion for Wednesdays games.

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2012
        I'll be there. See you all then.

        > With four around the table, we did bring out a couple of smaller games.
        > First up was NOTRE DAME, an older Feld design which was mentioned at the end
        > of last week's Trajan game. Typical of Feld designs, one is limited in the
        > actions one would like to do. In this game, that is driven by a deck of all
        > available actions. Players choose three cards per round, decide on one
        > action, then pass the other two cards to the left neighbour. Do this again
        > with the two cards received, and keep the last card received. (Yes, this
        > had 7 Wonders style drafting before 7 Wonders - guess this wasn't that
        > uncommon of a mechanic.) From the three cards in hand, players will choose
        > two actions to play in a round. Of several possible actions, players will
        > tend to focus on trying to maximize a few as repeated visits to an action
        > generally results in larger and larger payouts with each visit. The game
        > does offer a few ways to garner points so players have some freedom to
        > pursue a desire path. Dave seemed to pursue the point chit payout path.
        > Tim and Rich went for area majorities at Notre Dame Cathedral. Dan seemed
        > to do well in the park, garnering extra points along the way. At game's
        > end, the scores were: Tim 65 / Rich 55 / Dave 43 / Dan 39.
        > With time left over, we tried out STRING RAILWAY, a game where rail tracks
        > are represented by lengths of string each player has. Starting from a
        > corner in the field, players will draw a station tile, place it in the field
        > and then lay out their track (string) to make connections to the various
        > stations in the field - scoring points for doing so. Creative track
        > placement can block out other players or impede their progress towards
        > points. I noticed that much like Blokus - early play seems to be towards
        > the center followed by trying to backfill for points. At game's end, the
        > scores were: Dave 28 / Tim 27 / Dan 25 / Rich 24.
        > THIS WEEK:
        > Looking ahead, I can host again this Wednesday. I have a couple of games in
        > mind for a modest turn out: Helvetia (4 players) and Tammany Hall (5
        > players). If we have more or less than those numbers, will adjust
        > accordingly. Please RSVP by Tuesday night so that I can post an
        > appropriate suggestion for Wednesday's games.

      • registerlad
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2012
          I plan to join you.

          -Dan

          > With four around the table, we did bring out a couple of smaller games.
          > First up was NOTRE DAME, an older Feld design which was mentioned at the end
          > of last week's Trajan game. Typical of Feld designs, one is limited in the
          > actions one would like to do. In this game, that is driven by a deck of all
          > available actions. Players choose three cards per round, decide on one
          > action, then pass the other two cards to the left neighbour. Do this again
          > with the two cards received, and keep the last card received. (Yes, this
          > had 7 Wonders style drafting before 7 Wonders - guess this wasn't that
          > uncommon of a mechanic.) From the three cards in hand, players will choose
          > two actions to play in a round. Of several possible actions, players will
          > tend to focus on trying to maximize a few as repeated visits to an action
          > generally results in larger and larger payouts with each visit. The game
          > does offer a few ways to garner points so players have some freedom to
          > pursue a desire path. Dave seemed to pursue the point chit payout path.
          > Tim and Rich went for area majorities at Notre Dame Cathedral. Dan seemed
          > to do well in the park, garnering extra points along the way. At game's
          > end, the scores were: Tim 65 / Rich 55 / Dave 43 / Dan 39.
          > With time left over, we tried out STRING RAILWAY, a game where rail tracks
          > are represented by lengths of string each player has. Starting from a
          > corner in the field, players will draw a station tile, place it in the field
          > and then lay out their track (string) to make connections to the various
          > stations in the field - scoring points for doing so. Creative track
          > placement can block out other players or impede their progress towards
          > points. I noticed that much like Blokus - early play seems to be towards
          > the center followed by trying to backfill for points. At game's end, the
          > scores were: Dave 28 / Tim 27 / Dan 25 / Rich 24.
          > THIS WEEK:
          > Looking ahead, I can host again this Wednesday. I have a couple of games in
          > mind for a modest turn out: Helvetia (4 players) and Tammany Hall (5
          > players). If we have more or less than those numbers, will adjust
          > accordingly. Please RSVP by Tuesday night so that I can post an
          > appropriate suggestion for Wednesday's games.

        • lisa_r_markus
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28, 2012
            Hi Rich (and all),

            Kris and I will not be able to make it this week - we are preparing for CelestiCon! Hope you have fun, and hope to join you again soon,
            Lisa