Re: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 16 May

    Message 1 of 4 , May 13 11:43 PM

      From: Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...>
      Subject: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 16 May
      To: trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, May 13, 2012, 10:27 PM

      LAST WEEK:

      Tim, Dave, Jeff and Ricardo arrived and HAWAII was the game on the table.   Players have villages they are trying to build on the island of Hawaii.  Chieftains are sent out to acquire buildings, goods, or talents for the village.  Or the Chieftain could fish on the beach or travel to another island for needed items.  One twist in the game is a dual currency system.  Feet are spent to travel and Shells are spent to acquire things.  While each player does receive some of each at the start of each round, the amount declines as the game goes on, so players need to build an economic engine to avoid doing worse as the game goes on.  There are also end of round bonuses available for players who have spent a requisite amount of shells as well as end game VPs.  Another twist is that village only count if they are a certain length.  Players can buy tikis to reduce the required length as yet another variable in their village construction.  Tim opted for the super village placing all his tiles into one village only.  Ricardo went for long boats trying to find desired goods on the other islands.  Rich developed two villages and focused on the bonuses granted by the gods.  Jeff tried for three villages and tried to focus on VPs from spears.  Dave seemed to be trying for a balanced build exploiting what he could easily grab and add.

      In the end, Rich did score the most for his overall village as a result of gaining the end round bonus points thanks to his surfer boys as well as decent village bonuses from his hula girls.  (Scores are listed as Total =  Ingame VPs + Kahunas + Gods + Irrigation + Hula + Long Huts

          Rich:   111 = 51 + 10 + 16 +  0 + 34 + 0

          Tim:     89 = 15 +  5 + 12 + 10 + 42 + 5

          Dave:    89 = 40 +  5 +  0 +  3 + 36 + 5

          Jeff:    80 = 48 + 20 +  0 +  0 + 12 + 0

          Ricardo: 55 = 28 + 10 +  0 +  0 + 17 + 0

      I did check online and the designer has clarified that a move by the Chieftain to the beach ends the Chieftains move.  In other words, no jumping to the beach and then moving back in.  The designer is comfortable with letting the Chieftain rest on the beach, but HiG (publisher) prefers to have the end of a Chieftain move result in some action/purchase.  So jumping back to the beach must result in the Chieftain fishing, boating, or selecting turn order.  So we did get that one rule wrong.

      THIS WEEK:

      Have a few ideas of Wednesday games, but as always would like to get a headcount for games.  As a teaser, I just received The Big Time a game about lining up Vaudeville acts.  It does feature blind auctions so perhaps isnt everyones cup of tea.  Another game based on performance acts (a circus) is Drum Roll.  I realize both cap out at 4 players, but dont let that stop you if you wish to attend.  Always happy to hear your suggestions also.   Please let us know by Tuesday evening if you can make it for Wednesday….

      Message 2 of 4 , May 14 11:19 AM

        Message 3 of 4 , May 15 11:56 AM
          I'll be there. See you then.