Invitation to Games - 9 May

    Message 1 of 5 , May 6 10:35 PM
      Invitation to Games - 9 May

      LAST WEEK:

      Tim and Dave arrived so we tried out BIOS: MEGAFAUNA Phil Eklunds update on his evolutionary game American Megafauna.  With a paucity of habitable biomes, we did feel we were doing something wrong, but a reread of the rules after the fact didnt point to anything obvious.  I think we will have to consign the experience to the cumulative effect of a poor card shuffle bringing too many genotype cards (and the strong events) into the game as well as clogging up the card display with genotype cards.  Reading on BGG, I so see some other comments talking about a similar experience and indicating that such is tipping the game from a game to a simulation and being less enjoyable as a result.  I dont know I see it as a puzzle where we were inexpert in using the pieces offered to us.  In sum, each of us had species go extinct, Dave less so than others so he did win the end game population points and the victory as a result when the CO2 level fell and a snowball Earth ended our game early in the Cenozoic era.  (Oh, for the curious I havent read the rules to American Megafauna, but in that game it appears the biomes, mutations, and genotypes presented as cards in a single deck.  When cards are dealt out biomes go onto the map, mutations and genotypes are auctioned off.  This contrasts with the current game where biomes are tiles that are brought into the game as events on mutation cards and the mutations/genotypes are offered in a Vinci like display (first card is free, pay for ever card skipped over.)

      THIS WEEK:

      Dont know if folks want to try Bios:Megafauna one more time or not.  If not, could certainly read up on a viable alternative (or have one suggested.)  To narrow down the choices would like to get a headcount for games.  Please let us know by Tuesday evening if you can make it for Wednesday….

      Message 2 of 5 , May 7 12:32 AM

        Message 3 of 5 , May 7 12:58 AM
          Hey All,

          Long time no game!

          Back in the area this week, think I may be able to make it this week.  Will confirm tomorrow.

          R.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 7 4:34 PM
              I'll be there. See you all then.