Invitation to Games - 4 Apr

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
      Invitation to Games - 4 Apr

      LAST WEEK:

      Three players around the table so we took the opportunity to table an older game that seems to have been overlooked since its release in 2010 CARAVELAS.  Players send out fleets from Portugal to explore the both the Eastern side of the North American landmass as well as the western and eastern coasts of Africa, the Indian Ocean and Asia to Japan.  Yes, this does send a lot like another game released the same year (Navegador) which I suspect has led to Caravelas being a bit overlooked.  The weight of the two games is decidedly different also.  I would call Caravelas more of a gateway (or traditional European family) game.  Players have a set number of actions to use to move ones fleet or evade obstacles along the way.  In addition, the start of the turn begins with players bidding actions for turn order.  The ocean is overlaid with currents and winds that can sweep ships quickly in certain directions, so the game really is a race to explore ports, onboard goods, and bring them back to Lisbon to get VPs.  Each player is given some hidden destinations that are worth bonus points at games end should they have discovered that port first.  With the early moves being to explore the Western Coast of Africa and the Eastern Coast of South America (Brazil), Rich went straight to the Cape of Good Hope to round the South of Africa to start exploring the Eastern side.  This also let him be the first to acquire pepper which when brought back to Lisbon can be converted to a part of the Jeronimos Monastery which historical was paid by a tax on pepper.    (Each part of the Monastery is worth more points than just the pepper and is also the clock in the game.  When the Monastery is built, the game is over.)   Rich then set out with an upgraded fleet to gather more pepper and more goods on another trip to the Far East.  Dave also managed to upgrade his fleet and also set sail for the desired pepper.  Dave W did a quick round trip and then set out also for the riches of the Far East.  While Dave and Dave W both did complete part of the monastery, it was Rich returning with his pepper (despite losing part of his fleet to storms around the Cape) that ended the game before Dave W could return with his cargo (and its points).  In the post game discussion, we realized that perhaps Dave W should not have picked up his monastery tile on his first cargo so as to delay the end of game but pick it up (if desired) after his second trip as the 55 points he could have scored would have given him the lead:

          Rich:  98  / Dave:  75  /  Dave W:  54

      THIS WEEK:

      Havent heard of any conflicts (yet) for this Wednesday, so curious how many folks would be able to make it.   As always, if you can make it, what might you want to play?  Happy to hear your suggestions with the RSVP to the invite.    Please let us know by Tuesday evening if you can make it for Wednesday….

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2012

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2012
          I'll be there. See you then.