Invitation to Games - 8 Feb

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2012
      Invitation to Games - 8 Feb

      LAST WEEK:

      With four players, VANUATU was the game of the evening.  Upon reading the rules, it seemed like there were a number of actions possible as well as character choices, but in play I found that the choices were not overwhelming and the game buzzed right along.  The one area where we spent the most mental time was in figuring out the action priority and how future tempos would be affected.  In a sense, the MacGuffin in this game is the action track.  While players do indicate what actions they wish to take, they can only take actions where they have the majority of votes via their action tokens.  And as no one is allowed to pass on a possible action, there is some inherent screwage slash interaction in how turns would resolve.  While we all understood this, I dont quite think any of us elevated it to the next level in knowing how to force certain things consistently.  The game itself was quite close except for the fact that Tim was able to monopolize one island with both his shacks and import tourists for a rather large end game bonuses.  Once we realized our mistake in letting Tim get that advantage, no other player was really able to overcome the deficit though try we did.  By the time the fame finished, the scores were:

          Tim: 69  /  Scot: 60  /  Dave: 53  /  Rich: 50

      THIS WEEK:

      Ready to host gain this week.  One game I am considering is Power Grid: The First Sparks which takes some Power Grid mechanics and places them in the Stone Age.  But to confirm if this is a good choice or not, I would like to have the player count established.  Please respond by Tuesday night if you will be attending or not.  And by all means, if you have a preferred game you would like to suggest, please do so in your response.  I will then send out a follow-up notice late on Tuesday with suggestions for games the next night.

      Who can attend for...

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2012

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 6, 2012
            I'll be there. See you then.

            > With four players, VANUATU was the game of the evening. Upon reading the
            > rules, it seemed like there were a number of actions possible as well as
            > character choices, but in play I found that the choices were not
            > overwhelming and the game buzzed right along. The one area where we spent
            > the most mental time was in figuring out the action priority and how future
            > tempos would be affected. In a sense, the MacGuffin in this game is the
            > action track. While players do indicate what actions they wish to take,
            > they can only take actions where they have the majority of "votes" via their
            > action tokens. And as no one is allowed to pass on a possible action, there
            > is some inherent screwage slash interaction in how turns would resolve.
            > While we all understood this, I don't quite think any of us elevated it to
            > the next level in knowing how to force certain things consistently. The
            > game itself was quite close except for the fact that Tim was able to
            > monopolize one island with both his shacks and import tourists for a rather
            > large end game bonuses. Once we realized our mistake in letting Tim get
            > that advantage, no other player was really able to overcome the deficit
            > though try we did. By the time the fame finished, the scores were:
            > Tim: 69 / Scot: 60 / Dave: 53 / Rich: 50
            > THIS WEEK:
            > Ready to host gain this week. One game I am considering is Power Grid: The
            > First Sparks which takes some Power Grid mechanics and places them in the
            > Stone Age. But to confirm if this is a good choice or not, I would like to
            > have the player count established. Please respond by Tuesday night if you
            > will be attending or not. And by all means, if you have a preferred game
            > you would like to suggest, please do so in your response. I will then send
            > out a follow-up notice late on Tuesday with suggestions for games the next
            > night.
            > Who can attend for...

          • Scot Melville
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2012
              I'm coming, see you Wednesday.

              On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Dave <daw65@...> wrote:

              I'll be there. See you then.

              > With four players, VANUATU was the game of the evening. Upon reading the
              > rules, it seemed like there were a number of actions possible as well as
              > character choices, but in play I found that the choices were not
              > overwhelming and the game buzzed right along. The one area where we spent
              > the most mental time was in figuring out the action priority and how future
              > tempos would be affected. In a sense, the MacGuffin in this game is the
              > action track. While players do indicate what actions they wish to take,
              > they can only take actions where they have the majority of "votes" via their
              > action tokens. And as no one is allowed to pass on a possible action, there
              > is some inherent screwage slash interaction in how turns would resolve.
              > While we all understood this, I don't quite think any of us elevated it to
              > the next level in knowing how to force certain things consistently. The
              > game itself was quite close except for the fact that Tim was able to
              > monopolize one island with both his shacks and import tourists for a rather
              > large end game bonuses. Once we realized our mistake in letting Tim get
              > that advantage, no other player was really able to overcome the deficit
              > though try we did. By the time the fame finished, the scores were:
              > Tim: 69 / Scot: 60 / Dave: 53 / Rich: 50
              > THIS WEEK:
              > Ready to host gain this week. One game I am considering is Power Grid: The
              > First Sparks which takes some Power Grid mechanics and places them in the
              > Stone Age. But to confirm if this is a good choice or not, I would like to
              > have the player count established. Please respond by Tuesday night if you
              > will be attending or not. And by all means, if you have a preferred game
              > you would like to suggest, please do so in your response. I will then send
              > out a follow-up notice late on Tuesday with suggestions for games the next
              > night.
              > Who can attend for...

            • Kristian
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2012
                Hi Rich and All,

                We won't be able to make it as Lisa is teaching on Wednesday evenings this quarter, but we are thinking of you all.

                Have fun!
                Kris
              • Nikotime1@aol.com