Invitation to Games - 04 Jan

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2012
      Invitation to Games - 04 Jan

      LAST WEEK:

      A full (almost very full) house as we had 8 around the table for games.  As mentioned, we did break into 2 groups of 4 for games.  The first three to arrive (Jeff, Ben, Lawrence) joined Rich for a game of ELDER SIGN The next wave (Tim, Dave W, Nick and Stephanie) played PUERTO RICO.

      ELDER SIGN is a game set within the Arkham mythos (similar to the board game) that distills the experience of the board game down to just the die rolling aspects.  Locations/adventures are now cards requiring certain die combinations to clear.  As the players go through with this, monsters will appear and the doom track on the Ancient One advances.  The players win by sealing up the Ancient One before it awakes or by defeating the AO if it does awake.  We did have a few rules questions and I noticed that the official FAQ was issued just a few days ago.  It appears we did many of the items correctly and the FAQ even adapts the one monster balancing item we had discussed (add a monster to each location before one accepts a second).  The players did manage to defeat Hastur by gathering the necessary 13 Elder Signs before the doom track did fill up.  But it did feel a bit too easy, so wonder if that was just a fluke of the drawn locations or if we missed some critical rule.

      PUERTO RICO is the classic game that just saw the publication of its 10th Anniversary Edition of this classic game.  Dave W and Tim had played before while Nick and Stephanie discovered this game for the first time.  I did manage to catch the end of the game after Elder Sign wrapped up, and from the looks of it, it appeared the Stephanie did a good job with Captain as her tableau was full of victory chips from shipped goods.  I did see a final tussle by Dave W and Tim to get their big buildings staffed for the end game bonuses.  On one of the end game builds, Stephanie did purchase a 3 VP building which appears to have been key as the end game scoring reveals (victory chips + buildings + bonuses)

          Stephanie:  44 +  11 + 0 = 55

          Tim: 23 + 19 + 10 = 52

          Dave W:  17 + 16 + 10 = 43

          Nick:  29 + 12 + 0 = 41

      THIS WEEK:

      Happy 2012 to all.  Ready to host games again and again will suggest that at 6P and above we split into two groups.  Not certain everyone from last week can make it this week, but lets get a player count started and make plans accordingly.

      Who will attend for …..

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2012

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2012
          I can not make it this week. Ben

          > A full (almost very full) house as we had 8 around the table for games. As
          > mentioned, we did break into 2 groups of 4 for games. The first three to
          > arrive (Jeff, Ben, Lawrence) joined Rich for a game of ELDER SIGN. The next
          > wave (Tim, Dave W, Nick and Stephanie) played PUERTO RICO.
          > ELDER SIGN is a game set within the Arkham mythos (similar to the board
          > game) that distills the experience of the board game down to just the "die
          > rolling" aspects. Locations/adventures are now cards requiring certain die
          > combinations to clear. As the players go through with this, monsters will
          > appear and the doom track on the Ancient One advances. The players win by
          > sealing up the Ancient One before it awakes or by defeating the AO if it
          > does awake. We did have a few rules questions and I noticed that the
          > official FAQ was issued just a few days ago. It appears we did many of the
          > items correctly and the FAQ even adapts the one monster balancing item we
          > had discussed (add a monster to each location before one accepts a second).
          > The players did manage to defeat Hastur by gathering the necessary 13 Elder
          > Signs before the doom track did fill up. But it did feel a bit too easy, so
          > wonder if that was just a fluke of the drawn locations or if we missed some
          > critical rule.
          > PUERTO RICO is the classic game that just saw the publication of its 10th
          > Anniversary Edition of this classic game. Dave W and Tim had played before
          > while Nick and Stephanie discovered this game for the first time. I did
          > manage to catch the end of the game after Elder Sign wrapped up, and from
          > the looks of it, it appeared the Stephanie did a good job with Captain as
          > her tableau was full of victory chips from shipped goods. I did see a final
          > tussle by Dave W and Tim to get their big buildings staffed for the end game
          > bonuses. On one of the end game builds, Stephanie did purchase a 3 VP
          > building which appears to have been key as the end game scoring reveals
          > (victory chips + buildings + bonuses)
          > Stephanie: 44 + 11 + 0 = 55
          > Tim: 23 + 19 + 10 = 52
          > Dave W: 17 + 16 + 10 = 43
          > Nick: 29 + 12 + 0 = 41
          >
          > THIS WEEK:
          > Happy 2012 to all. Ready to host games again and again will suggest that at
          > 6P and above we split into two groups. Not certain everyone from last week
          > can make it this week, but let's get a player count started and make plans
          > accordingly.
          > Who will attend for ...

        • thedesign3r
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
            I'll Be in town. So why not sleep in the car and I will see you guys wedns nite!.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2012
              I'll be able to make it this time. See you then.

              > A full (almost very full) house as we had 8 around the table for games. As
              > mentioned, we did break into 2 groups of 4 for games. The first three to
              > arrive (Jeff, Ben, Lawrence) joined Rich for a game of ELDER SIGN. The next
              > wave (Tim, Dave W, Nick and Stephanie) played PUERTO RICO.
              > ELDER SIGN is a game set within the Arkham mythos (similar to the board
              > game) that distills the experience of the board game down to just the "die
              > rolling" aspects. Locations/adventures are now cards requiring certain die
              > combinations to clear. As the players go through with this, monsters will
              > appear and the doom track on the Ancient One advances. The players win by
              > sealing up the Ancient One before it awakes or by defeating the AO if it
              > does awake. We did have a few rules questions and I noticed that the
              > official FAQ was issued just a few days ago. It appears we did many of the
              > items correctly and the FAQ even adapts the one monster balancing item we
              > had discussed (add a monster to each location before one accepts a second).
              > The players did manage to defeat Hastur by gathering the necessary 13 Elder
              > Signs before the doom track did fill up. But it did feel a bit too easy, so
              > wonder if that was just a fluke of the drawn locations or if we missed some
              > critical rule.
              > PUERTO RICO is the classic game that just saw the publication of its 10th
              > Anniversary Edition of this classic game. Dave W and Tim had played before
              > while Nick and Stephanie discovered this game for the first time. I did
              > manage to catch the end of the game after Elder Sign wrapped up, and from
              > the looks of it, it appeared the Stephanie did a good job with Captain as
              > her tableau was full of victory chips from shipped goods. I did see a final
              > tussle by Dave W and Tim to get their big buildings staffed for the end game
              > bonuses. On one of the end game builds, Stephanie did purchase a 3 VP
              > building which appears to have been key as the end game scoring reveals
              > (victory chips + buildings + bonuses)
              > Stephanie: 44 + 11 + 0 = 55
              > Tim: 23 + 19 + 10 = 52
              > Dave W: 17 + 16 + 10 = 43
              > Nick: 29 + 12 + 0 = 41
              >
              > THIS WEEK:
              > Happy 2012 to all. Ready to host games again and again will suggest that at
              > 6P and above we split into two groups. Not certain everyone from last week
              > can make it this week, but let's get a player count started and make plans
              > accordingly.
              > Who will attend for ...

            • jay sheely
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 4, 2012
                I'll be there tonight (possibly for the last time - moving to Utah).

                Jay

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 4, 2012
                  Stephanie & I will be there tonight. I will bring Aquire (which plays up to 6 people) with me in case there is any interest in playing.

                  Nick
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2012
                    And that brings tonight to 7 players around the table so too many for Acquire as a single game.  But don't let that stop you from bringing the game.  Again, I will suggest we break into a 4/3 (or 5/2) split for games with one group possibly playing Acquire.  And the other group playing something else.

                    See you all tonight.

                     - Rich

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 4, 2012
                      I'm afraid I will not be able to make it tonight after all. Have fun.

                      -Tim