Re: Invitation to Games - 28 Dec

  • beeben22
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 26, 2011
      I can join you in games. Ben

      > We welcomed Nick and Stephanie who stopped lurking and decided to join for
      > games. With seven players and wanting to have everyone involved, it seemed
      > only natural to bring out 7 WONDERS. We played a first game with the
      > A-Sides of the Wonders then repeated the game with the B-Sides. In the
      > first game, Nick was an economic engine garnering gold hand over first. But
      > Nick didn't forget to balance his objectives building a chain of civil
      > (blue) buildings for VPs as well as capitalizing on some nice guilds:
      > (Scores are per the provided scorepad: military (red) + money + wonder +
      > civil (blue) + trade (yellow) + guilds (purple) + science (green))
      > Nick: -5 + 13 + 10 + 14 + 5 + 12 + 0 = 49
      > Lawr: 9 + 5 + 10 + 13 + 3 + 0 + 4 = 44
      > Steph: 9 + 1 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 7 + 18 = 43
      > Ben: 3 + 0 + 15 + 17 + 0 + 0 + 8 = 43
      > Tim: 3 + 4 + 3 + 18 + 8 + 6 + 0 = 42
      > Dave: 5 + 3 + 10 + 11 + 0 + 9 + 0 = 38
      > Rich: 0 + 1 + 10 + 12 + 0 + 0 + 13 = 36
      > In our second game, Rich (with the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus) aimed to
      > build his wonder on the last card of each age to lay claim to the discards
      > for his free build. This allowed him to get a complete science set in the
      > first Age which then lead to several natural builds in the later ages. But
      > would a push in science (3 sets of 3) be enough against a more balanced
      > build? Nope, Stephanie nicely balances for the win:
      > Steph: 13 + 7 + 7 + 14 + 7 + 15 + 0 = 63
      > Rich: -2 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 0 + 0 + 48 = 58
      > Nick: -6 + 10 + 10 + 23 + 4 + 15 + 0 = 56
      > Dave: 18 + 6 + 7 + 15 + 0 + 8 + 0 = 54
      > Tim: -5 + 4 + 3 + 14 + 2 + 5 + 25= 48
      > Ben: 11 + 2 + 13 + 3 + 3 + 6 + 2 = 40
      > Lawr: 9 + 1 + 5 + 9 + 2 + 11 + 1 = 38
      > I hope Nick and Stephanie enjoyed our game(s) and consider coming back
      > again. Our (pseudo) tradition of newcomer's winning seems to have worked
      > its magic again.
      > THIS WEEK:
      > It is the quiet week between holidays, so don't know who is in town and
      > available for games. Looking back at the past few weeks attendance, we
      > appear to have made a step jump up in attendance having more than 5 around
      > the table more often than not. As there are more games that can be enjoyed
      > with 3 or 4 players, I think the group needs to consider splitting up for a
      > couple of games if the attendance remains high. Normally, I have been
      > explaining the games, but if we do split up, I will be looking for
      > volunteers to help with the second game's introduction. But perhaps this is
      > all putting the cart before the horse or counting chickens before they have
      > hatched. Let's focus on this week and see what happens and adjust
      > accordingly.
      > Who is in town and able to attend for...

    • David Wallace
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 28, 2011
        I'm planning to come tonight - not sure about Kern yet.

        Dave W.

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 28, 2011
          Looks like tonight's player count is 6 or 7 around the table. I think we
          should split into two games, so am looking for a rules explainer/game host
          for the game I am not involved in.

          The games I was considering for tonight were Elder Sign (or) Norenberc and I
          am prepared to explain the rules to either. While Elder Sign does list up
          to 8P, I think (having read the rules) it is probably better at 3 or 4P
          especially to start.

          Open to suggestions for the second game so I can see if I can get the other
          game ready for tonight also. Or perhaps it might make more sense to your
          personal copy of a game you want to try if you are interested in getting it
          played tonight.

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 28, 2011

            And that will make 8 which is the limit of how many I can host!  If anyone else who hasn’t responded in the clear affirmative is thinking of attending, I must limit attendance to those who have responded.

            Dave W – I hope you can read this in time to understand that we won’t have room for Kern tonight.  My table can only hold 8 players and split into two 4P games tonight.

            -          Rich

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 28, 2011
              No problem - it will be just me. If you are still looking for game
              ideas, I'd be up for a game of Puerto Rico, and would be happy to
              explain it. (I'd also be happy with new games, as well). I could bring
              my copy, but I think you have one, right?

              Dave W.

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 28, 2011
                Yes, I do have a copy of Puerto Rico and it is on the game table waiting for
                those who are interested in that game.