Invitation to Games - 9 Nov

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2011
      Invitation to Games - 9 Nov

      LAST WEEK:

      Four players around the table as Scot, Tim, and Lawrence were able to attend, so in the interest of time, we opted for BLACK FRIDAY a game of investing in a stock as it rises hoping to cash out before it crashes converting winnings into silver (and then gold).  The game has gained some notoriety for its rules a problem I certainly experienced when I tried this game fresh off the presses at BGG.con last year with only a rudimentary translation of the rules.  From the Geek I did download and print some wonderful flow charts that describe both a turn and a price adjustment.  In fact, I used these to explain the game and followed them as we played made for a very smooth game We did make a simple mistake of buying too many shares initially, but realized this quickly, so just restarted a new game which went much more smoothly.  A few colours did seem to race up in valuation with everyone riding their coattails while yellow was completely ignored (all shares were in the market!) as players waited for it to crash before investing.  The price of silver did race up towards the game ending $100 triggered by purchases in the last round.  While players might have felt behind, revealing the results showed a lot closer game than anyone envisioned.  Everyone was tied with 2 Gold.  Three were tied with 4 Silver, so the game came down to money in hand:

              Scot:  2 Gold / 4 Silver / $75

              Rich:  2 Gold / 4 Silver / $30

              Tim:   2 Gold / 4 Silver / $ 2

              Lawr:  2 Gold / 3 Silver

      THIS WEEK:

      And darkness descends early in the evening now with the return to standard time.  But the lights will be burning in the game room and the table waiting for players on Wednesday.   Who can attend..

    • jay sheely
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2011
        I think I'll be around. Have you guys played Alien Frontiers? It's a 4 player max. And if anyone is into puzzle games like 'Factory Fun', I'ld like to try that one out at some point.

        Jay

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 7, 2011
          Hi Jay -

          Hope you can make it on Wednesday.  To answer your questions, - yes, we have played Alien Frontiers when the first printing was released.  And we have played Factory Fun as well.  As luck would have it, I just got my copy of the Z-Man edition (to go with the Cwali Edition I already have).  Let's see who else can make it to get a proper headcount as well as the overall interest level for the group in any of the suggestions.

          If no one else responds - have plenty of 2P games we could try.

          - Rich

          From: jay sheely helms_deep@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2011
            Assuming I don't fall ill again, I'll be there. See you then.

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2011
                I can make it too. Lets try something with a little adventure!