Re: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 14 Sep

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2011

      From: Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...>
      Subject: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 14 Sep
      To: trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, September 11, 2011, 1:30 PM

      LAST WEEK:

      Five players around the table (Ben, Lawrence, Tim, Jeff & Rich), so I had POSEIDON waiting as Ive been wanting to try this for some time.  Players gain control of city-states and try to develop profitable trade routes to increase the prestige (value) of their city-state as well as their own personal fortune.  The game is handled in alternating phases a merchant phase where players are starting city-states or acquiring/selling merchants in already started city-states and an exploration phase where the city-states establish trading posts and then decide if they wish to send out their trading fleet to generate income for their merchants.   All the players had their individual city-state and was developing it nicely for the first few turns.  At which point, Rich sold merchants in high prestige states to start a second city-state at a high prestige (ie high company coiffers) so as to purchase more ships to force the removal of the earlier ships.  Tim followed suit opening his second as well just as time ran out for the evening.  We were a couple of rounds from the end, but the tally at that point was:

      Jeff:  1356  / Rich: 1291  / Ben: 1235  / Lawrence: 1197 /  Tim: 1123

      But several things had yet to  happen that were likely to happen.  Rich/Tim hadnt seen the appreciation in their new companies which should have resulted in further value by games end.  Jeffs city-state was poised to purchase the next boat in sequence which may have triggered the removal of Lawrences trade fleet.  But that city-state didnt look to have enough cash to purchase its boat and I suspect Lawrence didnt have enough cash to contribute so might have gone bankrupt ending the game early.

      While we didnt finish the game, I think this was a combination of rules explanation, followed by unfamiliarity with the system and figuring it out.  18xx players will recognize quite a bit of the game play above as the game is derivative of the 18xx genre.  The next time we try this game, I think we will be able to complete a full game.

      THIS WEEK:

      As we settle into September and the fall patterns (back to school, end of vacations, etc), one pattern remains unchanged games on Wednesday.  Depending on head count I wouldnt mind another try at Defenders of the Realm  (4 Player) or Poseidon (5 Player) or another, different game.  Key will be how many are we expecting show up.  So please let me know if you can make it (and if you have any preferences) for.

    • thedesign3r
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2011
        Why dont we try Runebound Its similar and I get to help with some of the rules. and learn some too!

        I will make it! Ben is out for the Semester.

        Lawrence

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2011
          I'll be back this week. I'll see you all Wednesday.