Session Report - September 10, 2003

  • Michael Campbell
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 10, 2003
      Session Report - September 10, 2003 We played two games tonight: Acquire and Fluxx

      Acquire - **Sterling ($56,300)/Michael ($47,500)/Jeff ($44,100)
      Wall Street meets bingo! This is a fun game of business mergers and acquisitions. Sterling took advantage of some well-timed mergers and kept a pretty balanced portfolio, staying on top as the primary shareholder in a number of a good companies. Jeff and I had invested heavily in our own version of a dot-com bomb - the Zeta corporation. There was a short dry spell when Jeff and Sterling ran out of investment capital giving me a chance to snap up the stocks of some fledgling companies. In the end, Sackson Corporation and America Corporation were the only company's left standing with Sterling taking "Businessman of the Year" honors.

      Fluxx - **Jeff (Sun and Moon)
      This crazy card game starts with one basic rule - draw one card and play one card...then it gets weird, and fast, when the rules change with each player's turn. Bleary-eyed from a long day at work, I nearly played  the goal card: "The Great Seal" while Jeff was openly displaying the winning keeper cards. Of course, Jeff's victory was pre-destined and my retraction of this blunder only bought Sterling and I another 15 minutes. Jeff won with the Sun and the Moon.

      (**denotes game winner)

      NEXT WEEK (SEPT 17th): See you next week at 6:30 pm. Host TBD - Are you up for it Sean?
    • Michael Campbell
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 10, 2003
        Propsal: Rotating Game Choices I have a proposal. Why don't we rotate game choices every week?

        We seem to be able to play one long game (60 - 90 minutes) and one short (30 to 60 minutes).

        Why don't we rotate and have everyone make a selection the week before. One person makes the long game choice and another makes the short game choice. The only rule being that you can't make the same selection in consecutive turns.

        I know things have worked out well so far the way we've been doing it, but I suspect that we might be doing the Chip and Dale thing (you know... "After you..." "No, after you, I insist." etc.)

        Anyway, with a rotation we can all feel like we're getting an equal shot at the game selection.
        Don't take this wrong...I'm not disgruntled in anyway...in fact, I'm more concerned that my own gregarious nature and tendency to "speak-up" has influenced too many game selections.

        Just thought it might be worth a try.

      • mcdesign2003
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 17, 2003
          We played two games tonight: Princes of Florence and Titan the Arena

          Princes of Florence - **Jeff (51)/Sterling (48)/Michael (43)/Jason (38)
          This was the first time playing this game for all of us. We struggled
          with the rulesa bit but managed to keep things moving. Jeff discovered the
          power of the builders in this game. Jason had a veritable circus going with 3
          jesters. Sterling's end game prestige cards put him within a whisker of catching
          up to Jeff.

          Titan the Arena - **Jeff (12)/Jason (9)/Michael (7)/Sterling (0)
          This card game pits mythical beasts in an arena fight-to-the-death.
          Players bet on the three beasts they think will be left standing. Jeff won the
          game with a secret bet on the Hydra. The Ranger and the Titan were the other
          survivors.

          (**denotes game winner)

          NEXT WEEK (SEPT 24th): Next week Jeff will host and choose the main
          game. Hope you can make it again Jason. Hope to see you there Sean.
        • mcdesign2003

            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 1, 2003
              Session Report - October 1, 2003 We played two games tonight: Fast Food Franchise and Knights of the Rainbow

              Fast Food Franchise - **Jeff /Michael/Sean
              Monopoly meets Acquire! This is a definite improvement over Monopoly but still retains that feeling of hopeless despair when you are about to pass through a territory with a Steak and Salad franchise that will cost you $300,000 in one roll of the die.

              Sean was out of the game from the start. His burger and pizza empire was boxed in quickly and he was forced to break-out with a financially-crippling hostile takeover. Michael finally had to cry "uncle" and concede the game to Jeff's mega-franchises of Ice Cream and Steak and Salad.

              Knights of the Rainbow - **Jeff/Sean/Michael
              This card game was fast and fun. Players try to gather certain cards in their holdings while avoiding misfortune and gaining the King's Favor. Sean established himself as an early favorite, with his dominance of the gold holdings, Jeff, however, managed to pick up momentum in the second half of the game and brown-nose the King's Favor to victory.

              (**denotes game winner)

              NEXT WEEK (October 8th): See you next week at 6:30 pm. Jeff is hosting. In looking over the past session reports, I think it looks like it's Sean's turn to choose the game next week. Hunters and Gatherers? Samurai? El Grande? What'll it be Sean?

              Sterling: you were missed. Hope you are well (and not buried in homework).

              Jason: hope to see you again soon (no pressure...)
            • Jason Nutt
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 2, 2003
                I am hoping to make it next Wednesday for gaming.  I am glad to see you were all still able to play.

                Bummer, I missed last night!  I like Fast Food Franchise. : (

                MichaelCampbell <michael@...> wrote:
[...]

                Do you Yahoo!?
              • Sterling
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 2, 2003
                  Session Report - October 1, 2003

                  Damn, I missed FFF.  Oh Well.  Sorry for disappearing without notice, I had a family emergency and had to go to New Mexico for a few days.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 8, 2003
                    Session Report - October 8, 2003 We played two games tonight: Bang! and Condottiere

                    We also welcomed a new player - Oliver. Thanks for coming - hope you can join us again.

                    Bang! - **Michael (Renegade)
                    This card game let's you act out your squinty-eyed, Clint Eastwood "Man with No Name" spaghetti-western fantasies. In the four player game (which we played before Oliver arrived) one player is the Sheriff (Jason), two players were Outlaws (Sterling and Jeff) and one player is the Renegade (Michael). It's your basic offense/defense card play with some interesting special cards. The Dynamite card made it's way around the table once, before it blew-up in Jeff's hand. Sterling was next to die before it was the final showdown between the Renegade and the Sheriff. In the end, Jason didn't have enough beer to outlast Michael's itchy trigger finger.

                    Condotierre - **Oliver/Jeff/Sterling/Michael/Jason
                    This is a card game pretending to be a board game. Players use mercenary cards to battle it out for provinces in Northern Italy. The cards are beautifully rendered (albeit clumsy when shuffling). The game play is interesting and we definitely saw some dramatic shifting of fortunes. At times the victory could have gone to Sterling or Jeff but after a nasty round of fighting Michael and Oliver gained ground. Jason had a tough time out of the gate and despite some valiant attempts, couldn't get out of Rome. In the end, Oliver won the battle of card attrition against Sterling and took the requisite four adjacent provinces. Good game.

                    (**denotes game winner)

                    NEXT WEEK (October 15th): See you next week at 6:30 pm. Michael is hosting. In Sean's absence, Sterling stepped in with the game choice. Next week's choice goes to Jason, if you are able to make it.

                    RE: The weekend game. We discussed this briefly and will try to make a date in the next week. Stay tuned.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 8, 2003
                      Re: [trivalleygamers] Session Report - October 8, 2003
                      > From: MichaelCampbell <michael@...>

                      > Bang! - **Michael (Renegade)

                      This card game let's you act out your squinty-eyed, Clint Eastwood "Man with
                      > No Name" spaghetti-western fantasies. In the four player game (which we played
                      > before Oliver arrived) one player is the Sheriff (Jason), two players were
                      > Outlaws (Sterling and Jeff) and one player is the Renegade (Michael). It's
                      > your basic offense/defense card play with some interesting special cards. The
                      > Dynamite card made it's way around the table once, before it blew-up in Jeff's
                      > hand. Sterling was next to die before it was the final showdown between the
                      > Renegade and the Sheriff. In the end, Jason didn't have enough beer to outlast
                      > Michael's itchy trigger finger.

                      "didn't have enough beer"?  When there are only two players left, beer doesn't work any more.  So the game probably ended correctly, but not as quickly as it otherwise should have.

                      Oh, and I'm Dave Wilson.  Hi.  I'm one of the folks Michael invited in last week.  I'm hoping to be able to drop in on-and-off, but it wasn't able to happen today.  Sounds like fun, though!

                      Dave
                    • MichaelCampbell
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 9, 2003
                        Dave:

                        Thanks for the "beer" clarification. This was our first time playing, and I
                        rushed through the rules so we could fit the game in. Sorry I missed that
                        one guys.

                        In reality, I don't think Jason had any beer or missed cards to play. He had
                        an overall lack of beer throughout the game...but a whole lotta luck drawing
                        hearts.

                        Anyway, we'll get it right next time.

                        Hope to see you sometime soon, Dave.
                        --
                        Best Regards,
                        Michael Campbell

                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
                            Hello Everyone!

                            I plan on making it this week.  I guess I get a chance to pick some games we can play.  Since I am new to board gaming, I thought I would put some names out there and you all can tell me the pros and cons to playing these games.  I guess it would help if someone owned these games as well.

                            Here is my list of games I would like to play.  Ofcourse this depends on how many plan on playing (in no particular order):

                            1. Puerto Rico
                            2. Settlers of Catan
                            3. El Grande
                            4. Tigris & Euphrates
                            5. Acquire
                            6. Bohnanza
                            7. Citadels
                            8. The Traders of Genoa
                            9. Formula De

                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
                              Hey Jason:

                              You can't go wrong with any of the games on that list. However, I
                              don't think anyone owns Traders of Genoa (yet) and I think Sean owns
                              Formula De and he won't be able to make it this week.

                              Any of the rest of your choices are great games...I would have a
                              tough time choosing a favorite between them.

                              1. Puerto Rico
                              2. Settlers of Catan
                              3. El Grande
                              4. Tigris & Euphrates
                              5. Acquire
                              6. Bohnanza
                              7. Citadels
                              8. The Traders of Genoa
                              9. Formula De
                            • sterlingw@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
                                I have 7 of the games listed. Everything except Puerto Rico (Which Jeff has) and Traders of Genoa. Here is the list with maximum number of players.

                                2. Settlers of Catan - 6 (Best with 4)
                                3. El Grande - 5
                                4. Tigris & Euphrates - 4
                                5. Acquire - 6
                                6. Bohnanza - 7
                                7. Citadels - 7
                                9. Formula De - 10

                                If we decide to play Formula De, I would need to make it a one lap race with one car per player, so that I can have a chance to get home at a decent time.

                                Sterling
                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
                                  Puerto Rico takes 3-5 players and I'd be happy to bring it.

                                  I didn't see "Titan: The Arena" on the list of played games when I
                                  checked.

                                  I have 7 of the games listed. Everything except Puerto Rico (Which Jeff
                                  has) and Traders of Genoa. Here is the list with maximum number of
                                  players.

                                  2. Settlers of Catan - 6 (Best with 4)
                                  3. El Grande - 5
                                  4. Tigris & Euphrates - 4
                                  5. Acquire - 6
                                  6. Bohnanza - 7
                                  7. Citadels - 7
                                  9. Formula De - 10

                                  If we decide to play Formula De, I would need to make it a one lap race
                                  with one car per player, so that I can have a chance to get home at a
                                  decent time.

                                  Sterling

                                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                • Jason Nutt
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
                                    Looks like we have 5 people.  Base on that, I would like to play Puerto Rico.

                                    I would also like to play El Grande, but I am sure we will only be able to fit one of these in for Wednesday.

                                    Will that work for everyone?  So many games to play and so little time to play them. ; )

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003

                                      I’ll bring Puerto Rico.  We might have time to play Bohnanza as well since it is relatively quick.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 13, 2003
                                        Jeff,

                                        That would be great!  I would like to Bohnanza in as well.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 15, 2003
                                          Session Report - October 15, 2003 We played one game tonight: Princes of Florence

                                          Due to an illness in the family, Jason couldn't make it, so we opted to hold off on Puerto Rico until next week. We played Princes of Florence. We also welcomed a new player, Jim Lamb. Thanks of joining us, Jim.

                                          Jason: hope your wife is feeling better soon.

                                          Sean: Happy Birthday to your wife.

                                          Princes of Florence - **Jim (49 and 500 Florin)/Michael (49 and 200 Florin)/Sterling (46)/Jeff (46)/Oliver (46)
                                          First of all, I want to make it clear that we don't have a "let the new guy win" policy, even if the last two session reports seem to suggest that.

                                          This is the second time that we've played this game and the first time with five players. The game definitely has a different flavor with five. You actually run out of profession cards so the recruiting cards become very important. Bonus cards were also very popular in this session.

                                          Jim and Michael tied for the most prestige points with Jim coming out as the winner with the tie-breaker of "most cash on hand." Sterling, Jeff and Oliver had a three way tie for second place. All in all it was a taught and suspenseful game with the outcome undetermined until the last prestige card was played.

                                          (**denotes game winner)

                                          NEXT WEEK (October 22nd): See you next week at 6:30 pm. Jeff is hosting. Please email me at michael@... if you need directions to Jeff's house.

                                          Also - Look for a poll in the "poll" section of the yahoo site. We will be trying to set a date this week for our weekend game. Please log your vote so we can determine the best day for the most people.
                                        • Jason Nutt
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 16, 2003
                                            Everyone,

                                            Sorry I missed the game.  My wife seems to be feeling much better after spending most of the morning at the hospital.  They still do not know why she was ill.  Go figure!  We will have to do more tests later.

                                            I should be there next week.  I will keep you all post.  Thank you for your concern.

                                            I took the poll for the weekend game, but did not see anything about times.  Most Saturdays will work for me until about 5:00pm.  I have church Saturday nights.

                                            Hope to see you all next week.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Oct 29, 2003
                                              Session Report - October 29, 2003 We played one game tonight: Traders of Genoa

                                              We also welcomed another new player, Richard Pardoe. Thanks for coming, Richard. Hope to see you again.

                                              Traders of Genoa - **Jeff (790 ducats)/Richard (705)/Sterling (645)/Michael (620)
                                              In this game, players take turns "walking" the streets of Genoa, fulfilling large and small orders, delivering messages and engaging in all sorts of commerce. We did pretty well for our first time through. The game took just under 2 hours. Jeff won by quietly amassing the most ducats from his wheeling and dealing. All in all, this was a good gaming experience. Once we got the hang of the game, the deals got more interesting.

                                              (**denotes game winner)

                                              NEXT WEEK (November 5th): See you next week at 6:30 pm. Jeff is hosting. We talked about possibly playing Bean Trader or Samurai or Taj Mahal or...or...or...