Invitation to Games - 7 Sep

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2011
      Invitation to Games - 7 Sep

      LAST WEEK:

      With only 4 players around the table (Ben, Lawrence, Tim, & Rich), we brought out DEFENDERS OF THE REALM which has been called Pandemic meets Dungeon and Dragons (or at least Fantasy).  Instead of trying to defeat virus/disease outbreaks players are fantasy heroes working to defeat all four of the invading enemy creatures which have a boss figure (or general) as well as minions that threaten to destroy the central city.  Each turn, a player will conduct a number of actions equal to their available life points (so wounded players have fewer actions) and then Darkness Spreads which brings more minions onto the board and possibly advances one of the generals closer towards the center.  The players all win if they defeat all the generals (with the ultimate victor being the player who has defeated the most generals  and accomplished the most quests) but lose if any of multiple conditions occur:

      ·       One of the generals reaches the central city

      ·       A minion needs to be placed on the board and none are available in the supply

      ·       Five minions occupy the central city

      ·       Twelve of the lands on the map are tainted which occurs when a fourth minion needs to be added to any land (except the central city).

      One difference between this game and Pandemic is that the removal of minions (cubes in pandemic) is not automatic.  A die roll is needed with different races needing different success numbers.  Similarly, the general in charge of the minions needs to be defeated by applying enough hits so it is a key tactic to get two or more player heroes in the same location so they can work together.  If the attempt to slay the general fails the heroes will be wounded and need to recover both life and cards before trying again.

      As we were gearing up to defeat one of the generals we thought we had lost the game as the green race (orcs) had run out of the supply.  We decided to ignore this result and carry on to facing the general just to try the game mechanics.  Reading the FAQ, I see that we in fact did the right thing.  When 2 minions are added to a location they are added simultaneously, so in our situation where a location had 3 minions already, it should have suffered the single taint and overrun (when the land is tainted, minions are placed on the connected lands) instead of placing them sequentially which would have triggered dual taints and overruns.  Luck appeared to be on our side as several of us seemed to be drawing the same colour cards so we could in sequence defeat each of the generals and proclaim victory over the invading hordes.  In fact, each one of use had dealt the decisive hit on one of the four generals and earned the title of slayer and the single VP that accompanies it.  Ben had done a good job of completing 5 quests while Tim completed 3, Lawrence 2, and Rich none.  This gave the champion of the king and ultimate winner of the game title to Ben.

      THIS WEEK:

      We start September with a nice long weekend and Wednesday will be upon us before we know it.  (Especially as I am sending this out a day later than normal.)  I admit, I wouldnt mind another try at Defenders of the Realm as the hero selection and darkness spreads cards might have a slightly different result this time.  I have also re-read the rules and think I have cleared up any small errors we might have made in our first game.  I do have other games that could be tabled as well, but before I narrow the list down, would like a show of RSVPs as to who can attend in a couple of days for.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2011

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2011
            Hi Rich

            I can make even if I'm riding alone.

> [...]
            > accompanies it. Ben had done a good job of completing 5 quests while Tim
            > completed 3, Lawrence 2, and Rich none. This gave the "champion of the
            > king" and ultimate winner of the game title to Ben.
            > THIS WEEK:
            > We start September with a nice long weekend and Wednesday will be upon us
            > before we know it. (Especially as I am sending this out a day later than
            > normal.) I admit, I wouldn't mind another try at Defender's of the Realm as
            > the hero selection and darkness spreads cards might have a slightly
            > different result this time. I have also re-read the rules and think I have
            > cleared up any small errors we might have made in our first game. I do have
            > other games that could be tabled as well, but before I narrow the list down,
            > would like a show of RSVPs as to who can attend in a couple of days for..

          • beeben22
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 6, 2011
              I will be there. Ben