Re: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 10 Aug

  • jay sheely
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2011
      I'm in town but will be baby-tending Wednesday night. Dagnabbit!

      Jay

      From: Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...>
      Subject: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 10 Aug
      To: trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, August 7, 2011, 10:04 PM

      LAST WEEK:

      Five players around the table, so after a bit of discussion, first game was MISSION RED PLANET a game by the two Brunos that combines role selection with area control under the theme of steampunk exploration of Mars.  Players play astronauts (wooden discs) to rockets that are headed to regions on Mars in order to gain a majority there for points at one of the three scoring rounds in the game (two mid-game and one game end).  In addition, players are selecting a role each turn that not only determines turn order but also grants the player a unique power.  Of course, each role can only be used once and only recovered after playing the card that places all the roles back into the players deck.  The special abilities allow astronauts on Mars to move regions, pilots to redirect rockets to alternate destinations, uncover potential scoring bonuses, etc.  For example, Rich had the bonus scoring for each of his astronauts that happened to be killed during the game.  Of course, only one was but this meant more of Richs astronauts in a few high scoring areas on Mars with the final scores:

      Rich: 43  /  Dave: 34  /  Tim: 33  /  Lawrence: 28  /  Ben: 23

      Tim had a good position but the scoring bonus in one of his regions eliminated all his astronauts making Tim lose out on those end of game points.  In reading the BGG threads I see we missed an error in the English language rules.  The square resource token is worth 3 round scoring tokens.  While the English rules state to give the Resource token to the astronaut with the majority, Bruno F has clarified that this is INSTEAD of (not in addition to) the end game scoring for three tokens.  The rule was trying to say that the square token (worth 3 round tokens) can be awarded at games end.  Of course we did award the resource token in addition, but it probably had a modest effect as we scored it as the same as a round token for end game purposes.  (I dont have the details of who had what square tokens to back those out of the end game scores above.)

      With a bit of time left, we played a quick game of FELIX The Cat in the Sack where players offer up a part of the prize to be auctioned off.  It could be a valuable cat, a negative cat, or perhaps a dog (removes cats from the prize) or a bunny (worth nothing.)  The gimmick is that only one part of the prize (one card) is revealed initially with more being revealed as players drop out of the bidding with a small monetary reward.  So the game is really one of trying to pay less than the value of the prize to get a net gain.  But the only way to get more money for bidding is to pass at times, and sometimes passing to gain money is the best option.   Starting with 15 points, the players by games end had earned (ie final scores):

      Dave: 49  /  Tim: 43  /  Ben: 35  /  Rich: 32  /  Lawrence: 20

      THIS WEEK:

      A couple of new games arrived over the weekend.  Airlines Europe (by Alan Moon, his remake of Union Pacific which in turn was a remake of the original Airlines) as well as Garibaldi (by Gabriele Mari, this is his game before Letters from White Chapel, but is the escape of Garibaldi from Austrian forces in August 1849).  Of course, I also have plenty of other options that could be tabled but all depend on attendance (ie head count).  As always, if anyone has a suggestion for a game to play, by all means, please make it when you RSVP for….

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2011

        -tim

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2011
          Lawrence and I will see you Weds. Ben