Invitation to Games - 8 Jun

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2011
      Invitation to Games - 8 Jun

      LAST WEEK:

      Jay had mentioned a while back a desire to revisit some older favorites, so with 4 total in the house, SPACE ALERT found its way to the table as we went through 3 missions.  Our first mission saw us survive but barely (a total of 5 points after subtracting all the points for damaged sections of the ship).  With the rustiness of the system out of the way, we launched into our second mission.  Jay bravely stepped up to move RED (left) and work on the crossed wires internal threat.  The rest of us quickly worked out and resolved the rest of the threats and we were ready to begin.  Jay flips his first cardmovement DOWN????   Oops, must have been distracted by the B action (needed to work the croseed wires) when playing the cards face down.  Despite this mis-step, we did manage to survive the threats with a slightly better score of 9 points.  Our third mission saw us get everything working smoothly, so smoothly in fact that we all looked out the window in the final slots.  But we wondered what we might have messed up.  Oh, it was refueling some lasers.but even with that misstep we managed 32 points for this mission.

      Calling it quits while we were ahead, Rich brought out JÄGER UND SAMMLER, or Hunters and Gatherers.  Players have four meeples that are moving around a board made of tile.  Like Pingvinas (Hey! Thats My Fish!), a player claims the tile when moving off of it.  The tiles have a variety of icons displayed.  Goods worth points, items that are worth more the more that are collected, and weapons which allow a player to enter (and claim) a mammoth for point.  The twist in this game is that it is played in two halves (summer and winter) and players need to spend summer playing supplies into the winter camps as each supply played becomes a meeple for winter.  So a game with a variety of ways to collect VPs.  And typical of Knizia a balanced scoring approach will do one better as Tim and Dave demonstrated with their better set collections:

      Tim:    116

      Dave:   101

      Rich:   96

      Jay:    81

      THIS WEEK:

      Ready to host again this week.  We could return to more previously played and enjoyed games, or continue exploring unplayed games.  Who can attend this Wednesday and what (if any) preference have you for..

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2011

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2011
          I'll likely make it,

          Jay