Re: Invitation to Games - 18 May

  • beeben22
    Message 1 of 6 , May 16, 2011
      High Frontier sounds good, I will join you Weds.
      Ben

      Message 2 of 6 , May 16, 2011
        I'll be there Wednesday.

        > Dave and Tim arrived and we decided to learn (emphasis on learn) HIGH
        > FRONTIER from Sierra Madre games. Players represent various
        > political/scientific groups on Earth who are designing rockets and payloads
        > to boost into Low Earth Orbit and then assembling spacecraft (with any
        > necessary fuel) to launch into space to explore and develop various bodies
        > in the solar system. I had read the rules ahead of time and mechanistically
        > the game is not that difficult. Instead, it is rather open-ended with
        > multiple options presented to the player who must try to optimize them to
        > achieve their goals. But for a first game, we were all struggling to
        > connect the dots between what we can do, what we should do, and how it all
        > fit together to produce items that resulted in VPs. Having read some of the
        > first time hints, we did the usual things of dealing one card from each deck
        > to all the players – the difficulty was in then figuring out what to launch,
        > where, and what to do once we got there. I suspect we were a tad too
        > ambitious trying to get large items into space instead of doing a quick
        > prospect to establish an outpost and then conveying the rest of the
        > necessary bits for the ET factory. We all managed to get our first
        > spacecraft launched and maneuvering. Rich via a solar sail to Deimos but
        > when that failed, decommissioning the solar, refueling on Deimos (slowly)
        > and then thrusting over to the Vesta Family. Tim had assembled an
        > interstellar package and was at Ceres. Dave was also using solar and
        > focused on the inner solar system to take advantage of the insolation
        > benefits of being near Sol.
        > After the game, I read some advice to include the expansion map (even if the
        > advanced rules aren't used) and I have acquired the "full" map out to
        > Uranus, Kuiper Belt, and Alpha Centauri (though I doubt anyone will want to
        > spend the 860 turns to get there.) I was intrigued by the system and
        > think another play or two will help get things firmed up to allow us to move
        > from learning to playing….
        > THIS WEEK:
        > As hinted above, I'm prepared to give High Frontier another try. I have
        > printed off advice for the first player, the simplified (no expansion) rules
        > as well as some sample missions that could be attempted using the basic game
        > components. If others are more interested in a bit of a mental break to
        > let things sink in, there are other options: Jäger und Sammler and Der Pate
        > still await a play. I can offer other alternatives as well, but would like
        > to get a head count to help trim down the choices to the number of players.
        > So who will attend and what would you like to play at….

      • jay sheely
        Message 3 of 6 , May 18, 2011
          I'll be unable to attend on the 18th. I'm still in Florida (and saw the Endeavor launch! Totally awesome). There's a 50/50 chance I'll be there on the 25th.

          Jay

          From: Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...>
          Subject: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 18 May
          To: trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sunday, May 15, 2011, 5:02 PM

          LAST WEEK:

[...]

                  (Contact me off
                  -list if you need directions)

          Message 4 of 6 , May 18, 2011
            Gentlemen -

            Sorry, but something has come up that necessitates I arrive home later tonight.  As a result, I am unable to host.  I hope you read this in time to avoid an unneccessary journey.

            See you next week.

            - Rich