Invitation to Games - 9 Feb

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
      Invitation to Games - 9 Feb

      LAST WEEK:

      Ben, Dave and Tim joined Rich for games and we opened up MERCHANTS & MARAUDERS a pirate themed game from Z-Man, but with a bit of a checkered past.  It first appeared on BGG back in 2006 with the name Age of Piracy from Pro-Ludo.  A long drawn out production process saw first the name change and then the publisher.  And now it is general release.  Enough trivia.  In the game, players are captains of ships sailing around the Caribbean.  As the title suggests, one can just be a merchant, buying and selling goods hoping to earn gold and glory that way.  Or one can became a marauder, plundering merchant ships (both player and non-player) hoping to earn gold and glory that way.  The gold is useful to upgrade ships, acquire more goods, etc it is the glory that determines the games winner.  In addition to gaining glory from the aforementioned activities, one can also claim glory by completing missions on the board as well as confirming the truth behind certain rumours heard whispered in various ports.  Component-wish, it is a game driven by a ship board (to mark the quality of ones ship) and lots of cards that provide the detail.  Yes it is possible to think Arkham Horror with a new theme and less cooperation.

      With any such immersive game, there are a lot of little niggles in the rules to remember and play out correctly.  And we had our share of mistakes as we played.  The game suggests a playing time of 45 minutes per player when experienced and I think that is a fair assessment.  We were a bit slow to start, but the pace picked up as we got familiar with the various actions.  But we couldnt finish the game in the time available.  Tim (the sole marauder in the game) had a good lead in Glory points having gotten some good plunders of merchant ships as well as defeating Richs captain as time in the game session expired.  (As an aside, I think we forgot to award Tim a Dutch bounty for attacking a Dutch non-pirate! that might have given Tim bounties from all nations except perhaps England.)  Rich was second having done some very lucrative trades (and having a hold full of gold hence the reason why Tim targeted the ship.  I should have upgraded the ship to sink the gold into a new vessel rather than have it available for plunder.)  Dave and Ben didnt have as many Glory points, but we were only about a third of the way into the game when we called it.

      Having read the FAQ, I didnt see any real mistakes we made with one exception:  One can always dump existing cargo to get new cargo up to ones cargo limit.  (This would have impacted Tim as we didnt allow him to dump existing cargo when plundering merchants.)  I hope with the learning experience under our belts,  we can get this one out to the table again so that we can play the full game.

      THIS WEEK:

      Well, obviously another crack at Merchants and Marauders might be a good idea.  Or we can try something else first.  Who can attend and what might of interest to play?

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
        The other major mistakes we made was that the bonus gold from having a Letter of Marque does NOT count toward the 12 gold needed for a glory point when looting and that when spending special ammo to increase successes in a merchant raid you have to spend them before drawing/replacing/exchanging cards.

        In any case, I'll be there and would definitely be up for another go at M&M.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6, 2011
          I'm a maybe, I'll let you know. I'm currently in Denver and if the weather is good, I'll have to stay put.

          Jay

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2011

> [...]
            > With any such immersive game, there are a lot of little niggles in the rules to remember and play out correctly. And we had our share of mistakes as we played. The game suggests a playing time of 45 minutes per player when experienced and I think that is a fair assessment. We were a bit slow to start, but the pace picked up as we got familiar with the various actions. But we couldn’t finish the game in the time available. Tim (the sole marauder in the game) had a good lead in Glory points having gotten some good plunders of merchant ships as well as defeating Rich’s captain as time in the game session expired. (As an aside, I think we forgot to award Tim a Dutch bounty for attacking a Dutch non-pirate! â€" that might have given Tim bounties from all nation’s except perhaps England.) Rich was second having done some very lucrative trades (and having a hold full of gold â€" hence the reason why Tim targeted the ship. I should have upgraded the ship to sink the gold into a new vessel rather than have it available for plunder.) Dave and Ben didn’t have as many Glory points, but we were only about a third of the way into the game when we called it.
            > Having read the FAQ, I didn’t see any real mistakes we made with one exception: One can always dump existing cargo to get new cargo up to one’s cargo limit. (This would have impacted Tim as we didn’t allow him to dump existing cargo when plundering merchants.) I hope with the learning experience under our belts, we can get this one out to the table again so that we can play the full game.
            > THIS WEEK:
            > Well, obviously another crack at Merchants and Marauders might be a good idea. Or we can try something else first. Who can attend and what might of interest to play?

            Yes I will attend, see you Weds.
            Ben
          • jay sheely
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2011
              I'm back in Pleasanton and free Wednesday night. I'm in.

              Jay

              From: Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...>
              To: trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sunday, February 6, 2011, 11:13 AM

[...]

              Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2011
                I'll be there. Seems like we have a bit much for Merchants & Marauders, though.