Invitation to Games - 5 Jan

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
      Invitation to Games - 5 Jan

      A Happy New Year to All!

      LAST WEEK:

      The winter break allowed Dave W and Kern to join for games, and Dave W brought his copy of FFGs THE HOBBIT with him.  With Tim delayed in traffic, we decided to start the game (it tops out at 5 players) and Rich would then step aside if Tim arrived in time as he still had some bread baking in the over.  In the game, players are one of the dwarves accompanying Bilbo as the group faces 3 adventures on the way to Lonely Mountain and the defeat of Smaug.  Along the way, the players are hoping to gain skills that in turn will help them acquire jewels for successful challenges.  The winner is the dwarf with the most jewels at games end.   During traveling, players have a hand of dwarf cards from a deck that is numbered 1-60.  Each player plays a card face down and the number on the cards indicates the turn order for traveling or perhaps which dwarf managed to get certain abilities during the travel.  The game seems simple enough with the challenges not that difficult (in fact, we ran out of the games supply of jewels, so had all the players pay back into the kitty to provide more to draw from.)  I wonder if this was the result of 5 players and each player attempting their adventures rather than passing.  As a result, the rewards did feel for some a bit random.  I wonder if fewer players makes for more decisions.  Anyway, when all was done, pretty close scores:

          Kern:   20

          Dave:   18

          DaveW:  15

          Jay:    15

          Tim:    15

      Jay then had to leave (early start the next morning) so we remained 5 players for a relatively quick nightcap.  Looking at the games on the shelf, we brought out SAVANNAH TRAILS and played just the basic game to get a feel for the ostrich movement.  Yes, this is a game of racing ostriches across the African savannah, but the ostriches are controlled Ave Caesar like by a deck of cards (each player having an identical deck to use.)  The one new feature is the color of the card which indicates which lane the ostrich must end in.  The advanced version adds animals (obstacles) and watering holes (bonuses) to the race.  Somehow in the ending discussion and clean-up, I forgot to note the order of finish.  I think Dave did storm across the finish line first but Dave W followed and went further to garner the win.  Tim also finished but Rich and Kern lagged behind having been caught with some slow corners and inefficient moves.  (Apologies if my memory messed all that up.)

      THIS WEEK:

      And this week brings the first gaming of 2011 for the group.  I know I return to work tomorrow so will be looking for a nice mid-week break with some games.  What game will see us start 2011?  Who can make it to help decide …..

    • David Wallace
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2011
        I actually finished second in Savannah Trails - I think the other Dave
        actually won. Also, I've had some further thoughts about The Hobbit.
        In addition to the number of players, we were playing with the "easy"
        setting of initial attribute values, which may explain why we were able
        to meet all the Adventures so easily. If we played with one of the
        harder settings, Adventures would be riskier - and failed Adventures
        often decrease one or more attribute values, making future Adventures
        riskier still. It would probably be worth trying the harder settings in
        a future game to see if there is more strategic play there in choosing
        which Adventures to accept.

        I'm not sure yet what my schedule will be this Wednesday. There's a
        decent chance I will be able to make it, but I may not be sure until the
        day itself.

        Dave Wallace

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2011
            I can make it. I'm looking forward to it.