Invitation to Games - 22 Dec

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2010
      Invitation to Games - 22 Dec

      LAST WEEK:

      Two weeks ago only Dave didnt make it, last week only Dave did make it.  Perhaps folks are busy with their holiday preparations or taking a breather.  Thats OK.had a new two-player game BASILICA that I wanted to try out.  Players are competing architects trying to curry the kings favour as they jointly build vaults in a cathedral.  Sounds like a nice theme, but the game is a prettified abstract as the vaults are just coloured tiles and players are trying for majority control in the available areas via tile play and special actions.  (Dave likened it to the battles that might develop in Carcassonne to control a big city.)   Dave started with a nice lead in the first of the three scoring and just built upon that with each subsequent phase especially the last phase where one large scoring area was finally won by Dave as Rich ran out of actions to try to regain the majority and it was too late to go for other areas for points.

      Dave:   9       +20=29  +23=42

      Rich:   4       +13=17  +4  =21

      With a bit of time left, we broke out MR JACK POCKET a smaller deduction game from the same team that brought us the Mr Jack line of games.  This time, the tableau is limited to a 3x3 tableau of tiles with the detectives moving around the periphery to see down the streets on the tiles to try to isolate Mr. Jack.  Rich was Jack both games, but made silly mistakes to lose in Turn 2 and then Turn 3 of our games.  While I enjoy the Mr Jack games, it does take a while to learn how to effectively play Jack in each new game.  Obviously still have a ways to go in this one.

      THIS WEEK:

      Yes, I plan to host this week.  And it appears we already have some indications of attendance.  I really dont know how many to expect, so have no idea what I might suggest.  So let me just offer up the gaming table; see how many plan to arrive.  We can take it from there once we get a head count. Who will attend…..

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 19, 2010
          I'll be there. See you then.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 20, 2010