Invitation to Games - 8 Dec

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2010
      Invitation to Games - 8 Dec

      LAST WEEK:

      Another five player week as Jay, Jeff, Tim, and Dave all arrived for games.  The game I wanted to try with 5P was HIMALAYA (nee Marchands d'Empire).  This is a pick-up and deliver game where players are running their yaks around the Himalayan villages seeking to gain the most yaks (economic status).  But one must also avoid having the least religious status and political status as players with the least are eliminated from the game end scoring.  The real twist in this game is that ones turn is pre-programmed via 6 action tiles and if another player has removed a necessary good from a village, perhaps the rest of your plans wont come to fruition.  Having 5 players, I did add in the necessary bits from Himalaya: The 5-6 Player Expansion as well as some of the optional rules.  At the end of the game, Dave was the player eliminated for having the least religious influence.  Of the remaining players, Tim ha the least political influence as was eliminated next.  In the three way race for economic status, Jeff just edged out Jay 40-39 yaks while Rich was a distant third with 24.  (For what it is worth, Tim did have 36 yaks, just not enough area control to avoid the political elimination.)  Both Rich and Dave commented that they seemed to be playing their own game instead of focusing on what others might do/have in hand and probably lost out on trades as a result.  An interesting game and I will probably add the rest of the optional next time especially the use of tiles (instead of a die) to restock the goods and offers on the board.

      With a bit of time left, Rich pulled out PIRANHA PEDRO as a quick filler to end the evening.  Players all have identical movement cards that are used to control Pedro who is stuck on an island surrounded by ocean.  Players also have a limited supply of stones that can be used to give Pedro support should he be moved onto an ocean space.  The game is one of trying NOT to be the one to cause Pedro to sink into the ocean due to running out of stones or pushing him off the edge.  As the movement cards are all selected before Pedro moves and then revealed, again there is a pre-programmed hidden movement aspect to this game.  It is very quick playing with Rich causing Pedro to sink first.  Tim and Jay (IIRC) were next to sink Pedro.  The game ended when Tim was the first to sink Pedro twice to lose the game which then declares everyone else the winner.

      THIS WEEK:

      Nice to have some full games hit the table.  And dont worry about running out of 5P games.  In addition to the few we didnt select last week (Princes of Florence anyone?), I do have some new Essen releases that just arrived that can play 5 as well:  K2 and Sun, Sea, and Sand.  The first is about trying to scale the second highest mountain while the second is about gaining and keeping guests at island resorts.  But beyond those games, should someone not make it this week, I do have some 4P games Id love to table as well (London, Troyes, Inca Empire).  So lets keep the energy up and the games going.  As always a player count helps me get the proper games ready.  And I am always open to suggestions for games that others would love to play.  Who will attend…..

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 6, 2010

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2010

            > Who will attend...
            > GAMES:

            I will attend. See you then.

            Dave
          • jay sheely
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2010
              Rich,

              There's a 95% chance I'll be there.

              Jay

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2010
                And apparently, I lied. I'm not going to make it after all. Have fun, gang.

                Dave