No Games / Host Needed - 17 Nov

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2010
      No Games / Host Needed - 17 Nov

      LAST WEEK:

      Tim was the only player to make it, so we explored a couple of 2P games.  The first up was DAY & NIGHT an asymmetric area control game.  The asymmetry arises from the decks each player has that are used to change control of the squares on the board.  The Day player and the Night player each have unique decks with different abilities.  The winner is the first two control two 9-square areas on the map.  The Day player (Tim) had quite a few cards to directly gain control of the spaces while Night (Rich) seems to have more cards that are designed to interfere with Days plans.  Unfortunately, not having seen the decks before hand, Rich wasnt quite aware how best to play Night.  The first part of the game saw Day race to complete the first 9-square area.  Night did the same, but a few turns later.  Then as Day started to work on more tiles, Night moved into closer proximity and tried to affect the already played areas.  This seems much more effective, but such realization came a bit late as Day did manage to complete a second 9-square area for the win.

      With time still available, we launched into a 2P game of RACE FOR THE GALAXY.  Rich started with New Sparta and began on a military conquest of Alien worlds for VPs.  Tim started with Epsilon Eridani but gradually and consistently built up consume powers to gain a good card engine allowing him to build three 6 Cost Developments which netted Tim 10+5+9 = 24 VPs at games end.  That was the difference as Richs Alien worlds were worth 27 (+2 VPs from a consume) while Tims worlds and VPs were only 12+16 = 28.  Again, I fall into the trap of New Sparta of not getting good consume powers and/or not racing quickly to 12 worlds to end the game quickly.

      THIS WEEK:

      I will not able to host this week.  If anyone wants to step up and host, please feel free to do so.  I will be able to host next week if anyone is in town the day before Thanksgiving and wants to play games.  See you next week.

      -       Rich

    • jay sheely
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2010
        I'm still hoping work slows swon a bit so I can drop by.

        How did you like Day and Night? I played it twice and traded it.

        Jay

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 15, 2010

          Jay –

          I do hope you can make it one day also.  (I saw your call for opponents for Labyrinth also.  I just got my copy, have already read the rules and played through the example – and am now interested to try out a full game.)

          As for Day and Night – as with any deck game, one needs to know the cards and play it often to truly appreciate it.  I will admit that playing it I couldn’t help but think of Blue Moon as a game in a similar vein, but seeming to work a bit better – most likely because I have played that one (Blue Moon) a few more times.  I wouldn’t mind giving Day and Night a few more plays, but nothing stellar really jumps out at me from the game.  So I wonder if I were to even get the chance to try it a few more times or not.

          -          Rich