Host needed - 6 & 13 Oct

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
      Host needed - 6 & 13 Oct

      LAST WEEK:

      Dave W and Tim joined Rich and we decided to retry INNOVATION as we were more familiar with the cards and wanted to see if it indeed was the quick game as has been advertised.  It must be because we did get two games in the evening.  The first game saw Dave W starting with Metalworking and trying his luck.  And what a lucky streak it was scoring a handful of 1s and 2s as each card drawn had a castle icon on it.  This quick lead in points allowed Dave W to get and early start on achievement as he proceeded to win with 5 achievements before we really got deep into the decks.   (We were perhaps drawing 6s or 7s when the game ended?)  The second game saw Dave W trying Metalworking again but this time not so lucky as the drawn cards didnt have the icon and very little benefit (other than to draw a card) was realized.  Rich used Mapmaking to increase his scored cards to score the first achievement.  Later in the game, he played Enterprise to gain Crown cards which brought Translation to his hand as well as allowed him to trigger Pirate Code.  Translation combined with crowns on the top cards allowed Rich to achieve the World achievement and the Pirate code drew in scoring points allowing Rich to purchase the necessary achievements for the win with 5 achievements just as Tim was starting to draw the 8s.

      The game did play much more quickly with familiarity.  And I think we are starting to see some of the card combinations.  However, I still cant shake the feeling that there is still a strong luck component in getting those combinations to hand.  Perhaps that is mitigated with more knowledge of the cards opening up multiple pathways to victory, but to date the winner of all our games appears the be the person that utilized the luck of the card draw best.

      THIS WEEK (and beyond):

      As the subject line reminds everyone I am unable to host both this week and next week.  In fact, I wont even be available for games this week, but might (depending on work load) be up for games next week.  Dave W has offered to host if folks are willing to head towards Castro Valley (on 580).  But as he needs to reserve the local rec room, would prefer to go through the effort only if sufficient folks intend to show up for games.   Or might there be another host that could step up?  Please feel free to discuss via the list and get things settled as seems appropriate.

      See you all on the 20th (hosting again) with a possibility of attending at the location chosen for the 13th.

      -       Rich

    • David Wallace
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 3, 2010
        On 10/3/2010 12:26 PM, Richard Pardoe wrote:
        > Dave W has offered to host if folks are willing to head towards Castro Valley (on 580). But as he needs to reserve the local rec room, would prefer to go through the effort only if sufficient folks intend to show up for games. Or might there be another host that could step up? Please feel free to discuss via the list and get things settled as seems appropriate.
        Right - if there's at least a couple of folks who are willing to head
        out this way (a little south of the area that includes the Castro Valley
        exit from 580W, Grove street exit from 580E, and Crow Canyon/Castro
        Valley Blvd intersection), please email me and I will check into the rec
        room availability. It would be best if I knew by 3PM Monday, given the
        lead time on signing up the room.

        Dave Wallace
        dave@...
      • David Wallace
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2010
          Since I haven't heard from anyone yet, I won't be trying to reserve
          the room this week. Let me know if there is any interest for next week.

          Dave Wallace

          On 10/3/2010 10:00 PM, David Wallace wrote:
          > On 10/3/2010 12:26 PM, Richard Pardoe wrote:
          >> Dave W has offered to host if folks are willing to head towards Castro Valley (on 580). But as he needs to reserve the local rec room, would prefer to go through the effort only if sufficient folks intend to show up for games. Or might there be another host that could step up? Please feel free to discuss via the list and get things settled as seems appropriate.
          > Right - if there's at least a couple of folks who are willing to head
          > out this way (a little south of the area that includes the Castro Valley
          > exit from 580W, Grove street exit from 580E, and Crow Canyon/Castro
          > Valley Blvd intersection), please email me and I will check into the rec
          > room availability. It would be best if I knew by 3PM Monday, given the
          > lead time on signing up the room.
          >
          > Dave Wallace
          > dave@...

        • David Wallace
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 9, 2010
            Last week didn't get any response - any interest this week? I know
            Rich will be back, but unable to host. If you are interested in coming
            this way for games, let me know by around mid-day Monday, and I'll check
            into the availability of the room.

            Dave Wallace

            On 10/3/2010 10:00 PM, David Wallace wrote:
            > On 10/3/2010 12:26 PM, Richard Pardoe wrote:
            >> Dave W has offered to host if folks are willing to head towards Castro Valley (on 580). But as he needs to reserve the local rec room, would prefer to go through the effort only if sufficient folks intend to show up for games. Or might there be another host that could step up? Please feel free to discuss via the list and get things settled as seems appropriate.
            > Right - if there's at least a couple of folks who are willing to head
            > out this way (a little south of the area that includes the Castro Valley
            > exit from 580W, Grove street exit from 580E, and Crow Canyon/Castro
            > Valley Blvd intersection), please email me and I will check into the rec
            > room availability. It would be best if I knew by 3PM Monday, given the
            > lead time on signing up the room.
            >
            > Dave Wallace
            > dave@...
          • jay sheely
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 9, 2010
              I'm new to the group but have played with Rich before at Endgame. I was planning on attending his house on Wednesday.

              Anyways, let me know where you guys are playing and I'll be there. What game are we playing so I can read the rules before hand if I haven't played it before.

              Can't wait!

              Jay

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 10, 2010
                Yes, I am back....but with the floor installation at home, two rooms have been emptied into the living room / game table area so that the floors can be worked on - the last of the old, old carpet removed, hardwood flooring installed. As you might imagine - I have no area to host games this week. The good news (for me at least) is that the work should be done this week and the house put back in order in time to host next week.

                As for attending games this week - I am going to pass as I will be working on minor "honey-do"s each night after work to make the flooring work progress smoothly this week.

                If anyone is interested in heading out to Castro Valley, please speak up to let Dave know what's up so he can coordinate the room. Looks like Jay had expressed interest in joining this week. Anyone else?

                Please RSVP so Dave can get a headcount.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 11, 2010
                  I'm in.

                  Jay

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 12, 2010
                    We've got at least 3 people (Jay, Me, and Kern), and the rec room is
                    reserved, so we're all set for Wednesday night at the Lakewood Village
                    rec room about 6:30. Email me for directions if you're coming.

                    Game suggestions:
                    Outpost, by TimJim games (2-8 players). This out-of-print game is one
                    of the few that I think Rich doesn't own, which might be a good reason
                    to play it this week. It's a game of economic expansion while bidding
                    against each other for various upgrades that arrive semi-randomly.

                    Other suggestions:
                    Merchant of Venus
                    Puerto Rico
                    Lord of the Rings (with or without the Friends and Foes expansion)
                    Carcassonne (with or without Inns and Cathedrals)
                    Ticket to Ride
                    Pow Wow
                    Incan Gold (variation of Diamante)
                    Space Beans

                    Best with 4+ players:
                    Bang!
                    Betrayal at House on the Hill

                    Quick Filler:
                    Momma Mia
                    Fluxx

                    Feel free to bring other ideas.

                    Dave Wallace

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 12, 2010
                      Sorry for the late response, I'll be there as well. (Dave, could you send me directions please?).

                      Thanks
                      Tim