Invitation to Games - 25 Aug

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22, 2010
      Invitation to Games - 25 Aug

      LAST WEEK:

      With 5 players in attendance, the choice from those offered drifted to GLORY TO ROME as that games handles 5 players.  After the Rome has been devastated (in the abstract), players are builders with a camp trying to win patrons and influence people in an effort to rebuild Rome.  Like San Juan and/or Race for the Galaxy, this is a engine building game with cards serving multiple roles.  But in this case, the cards themselves have 3 attributes.  In the center they depict a building which (if completed) grants special powers.  At the bottom, they represent a set building material.  On the left, they represent a class of patron (action or role a player may take).  Cards are played to a mat to select actions and then discarded to a pool where they may be retrieved as the building material or patron.   Not that mechanically complex, but a lot to wrap ones mind around when first exposed to the game.

      Several ways to end the game (draw deck exhaustion, lack of building sites) which seemed to be paced about the same in our game as both seemed ready to trigger end game when the draw deck was depleted.  We then had to add up influence (gained by completing building) and stockpiled VPs (aka the vault) as well as bonuses for having the majority in a colour in the vault (mercantile bonus).  Finally, some completed buildings add VPs also:

      Dave W: 9 + 6 + 3 + 0 = 18 (wins by most cards in hand)

      Jeff:           12 + 5 + 0 + 1 = 18

      Rich:           7 + 5 + 3 + 0 = 15

      Dave:           10 + 4 + 0 + 0 = 14

      Tim:            8 + 3 + 0 + 3 = 14

      A surprisingly close game as almost everyone felt they were behind at some point.  We could see Jeff completing buildings and getting influence, but the other VPs in the vault and the mercantile bonus helped others close that gap.

      THIS WEEK:

      I still have Innovation ready to play, and I wouldnt mind another try of Glory to Rome, but wonder if others might want a change of pace from a card driven game.  In that case, I might read up on Texas and Pacific or Preußische Ostbahn (as that is about to be published by Queen as German Railways).  But to help narrow down choices let me get a headcount of who will attend and comments about which games are of interest.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22, 2010

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 24, 2010
          Kern and I both plan to come this week. I'd love to have another shot
          at Glory to Rome some time now that we sort of know what we're doing,
          but it might not work out with both Kern and me coming.

          Dave Wallace

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 24, 2010

            > But to help narrow down choices, let me get a headcount of who will attend and comments about which games are of interest.
            > GAMES:

            I'll attend. See you then.