Invitation to Games - 04 Aug

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010
      Invitation to Games - 04 Aug

      LAST WEEK:

      A trifecta of games made for a full evening.  First up was the just released FOUNDING FATHERS by Jolly Roger Games but by the team of Leonhard/Matthews that had dipped into politics with 1960: The Making of the President and Campaign Manager.  While those were 2P games, FF plays 3 to 5 where each player is a great planner of the US constitution trying to gain influence over the constitution being drafted in Philadelphia.  Players can gain points by influencing state delegations to vote yea/nay on an Article under consideration, or perhaps in the Committee room, or perhaps by debating one of the viewpoints at play (large state vs. small state (or) federalist vs. anti-federalist.)  As is typical with these games it is card driven where the cards (the other delegates at the convention) can be used to gain in each of these areas or as an event.  The timing seems to be approximately once through the deck for each round or set of votes.  A bit of rules explanation and off we went.  Jeff jumped into an early lead with some events, while Rich seemed to trail through the first few rounds.  Careful placement of delegates aligned with a winning vote allowed Rich to catch-up, but in the end, it was Jeff that carried the day as George Washington was played in 2 of the 4 rounds to end the vote early:

          Jeff 26 / Rich 20 / Dave 17 / Tim 16

      With time left, we cracked open the clamshell around SCNF one of Winsomes 2010 Essen releases.  This one is all track-building without any auctions, but of course adds in share control.  Six train systems are being built out from Paris.  On a turn, players may take cubes from the supply to expand a single train system up to 5 cubes.  Or trade a stock (cube) from their hidden supply for 1 or 2 stock (cubes) in another company.  So players are trying to maximize the value of their hidden cubes without telegraphing too much their interest level in the on-board train systems..  The first game ended rather abruptly when the Paris-Marseilles connection was built.

          Tim 122 / Jeff 120 / Rich 114 / Dave 74.

       That game didnt set right with us, so we tried again paying better attention to who was building what and trying to prevent the Marseilles connection.  Also, seeing the advantage of building track to non-valued territory to burn cubes.  This game was a lot closer and more tense.  With decisions to trade in one cube being weighed carefully as an additional cube would let the system reach another valued city.  When the game ended due to cube depletion, Tim (with the limit of 15 shares/cubes) came out ahead due to more cubes (everyone else had only 13):

      Time 149 / Rich 138 / Dave 138 / Jeff 133

      THIS WEEK:

      As noted last week, I was away this weekend, but home now and ready to play games!  Let me get the count of who can make it this Wednesday and I will get some games ready for us to enjoy.  I am expecting Innovation, so hope to try that one if it arrives in time.  We could also play the earlier Glory to Rome by the same designer instead.  There are some other train games both in this years and last years Essen package we could explore.  A bit bushed today from the drive up from LA, but will give it some thought tomorrow and Wednesday as folks chime in with their attendance intentions.  Who will be here to play.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2010

        > Who will be here to play….

        Turns out that I won't be able to attend this week. Have fun, gang.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2010