Re: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 5 May

    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2010

      From: Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...>
      Subject: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 5 May
      To: trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, May 2, 2010, 11:04 PM

      LAST WEEK:

      Back to the routine of games as MACAO was brought to the table.  The interesting gimmick in this game is that action cubes are gained for future turns via a die roll, so one is planning for the future while trying to build an engine now to gain victory points.  This is done by acquiring cards representing offices, buildings, or people.  (Yes, it is another game with lots of cards to give players different paths.)  But after acquiring the card, one needs to activate them to gain their power or else the cards will be minus points at games end.  In addition to all this, there are goods to be had in the town of Macao that can be shipped and traded back in Europe for points as well.  So it appears there is a lot going on, but mechanistically the game isnt that difficult.  So as we got used to the rhythm of the game, the game sped up rather nicely.  When we finished the fixed 12 rounds, it appeared to be a close game between Dave and Tim, but Tim had several end game bonuses that catapulted his score ahead of Dave.   Rich had made a play on delivering Jade for double points and was able to do that before the game ended, but was a bit deficient in his other cards preventing further gains:

      Tim: 88 / Dave: 66 / Rich: 52

      THIS WEEK:

      Nice to be back in the regular routine of Wednesday games.  So lets do it again this Wednesday.  I have read the rules to Giants several times, so will punch that game and have it ready to go Will look for a second possibility also, but nothing firm in my mind at this time.  Any suggestions from others?  And who will attend.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2010
        > who will attend:
        > GAMES:

        I'll attend. See you then.