Re: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 3 March

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2010

      From: Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...>
      Subject: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 3 March
      To: trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 10:45 PM

      LAST WEEK:

      We did get in the game of SHIPYARD which was mentioned in the invite.  An interesting game with numerous actions available each turn and multiple ways to acquire VPs.  But key to the game is the hidden contracts that give each player unique goals for more points at games end.  They help focus players on possible paths to pursue towards victory.

      Dave went on a rapid ship building spree launching several small boats making us suspect he had the contract for most boats launched.  Tim was launching lots of officers on his boats.  Rich seems to launch boats of size 6.  Even with three contracts of each colour, it is evident what players are going after fairly early in the game.  Key to Daves strategy was saving up cash so that he could purchase extra actions at games end to help complete those last few ships.

      Ships launched during the game:

          Dave: 13, 8, 13, 7, 7, 5 = 53

          Tim: 11, 18, 7 = 36

          Rich: 14, 20, 10 = 44

      Adding in the final end game contracts:

              Dave:  6 ships launched (32 points) and 8 different elements (15 points) and 1 trader (1 point) = 101 total

              Tim:    (notes obscured) (12 points) and 5 officers (15 points) = 63 total

              Rich:  2 sets of businessman/ soldier/gun/crane (16 points) and 3 ships of length six (17 points) and a trader = 78 total

      Dave certainly cornered the market on launching ships and gaining additional points for them at games end.  There are comments that while Daves contract is the most powerful, it is offset by the lack of point scoring in the game.  Well, either Dave that all very efficiently or we sub-optimised on our ships.  All in all, an interesting game.

      THIS WEEK:

      March roars in like a lion (or so it is said and with rain forecast it just might), but games continue regardless of weather.  I havent quite settled on any games to table, but wonder if we should revisit some recent games for another go round to see if we do any better this time around.  Any suggestions along those lines?  American Rails and Hansa Teutonica are two that come to my mind.  What games (new or old) come to yours?  Let me know.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010

        I'll be there for some games. See you then.