Invitation to Games - 24 February

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2010
      Invitation to Games - 24 February

      LAST WEEK:

      A full night with three games played.  First up was Mali Powstańcy (aka Little Insurgents), a game about the Warsaw scouts who delivered orders between the various groups of rebel fighters during the Warsaw Uprising during the Second World War.  Heady stuff, but abstracted in the game.  A time track shows possible orders with both a pick-up and delivery location.  Scouts must run to pick-up the order and then run to deliver the order before the order falls off the time track.  Each player has a team of three scouts that can be used to try to deliver the various orders on the track.  In the basic game, there is a German soldier that semi-randomly moves around the board trying to block routes and capture scouts.  The game ends either when too many orders have fallen off the track (resulting in a lose for all players) or until all the orders have been delivered (awarding a win to the player with the most delivery points).

      For the first game, we did very good job initially, but had too many scouts trying to deliver the same order.  As a result, about half-way through the games, the flow of orders overwhelmed us resulting in a player loss (German win).  After some discussion, we decided to try again.  This time we were a bit more cooperative in the game trying to keep orders from falling off the track.  A much more successful result as all but one order ended up being delivered.  When the value of the delivered orders was added up, Dave had the most valuable total and was declared the winner:

          Dave: 62 / Tim: 42 / Rich: 40

      Obviously, this is a race game, but it does need some cooperation to avoid a loss by all the players.  With the German soldier, we often set up one scout as bait to lure the soldier away to let other scouts run unimpeded with their orders.  But we probably cooperated too much.  Our next game will be with the advanced rules which adds special movement powers as well as secret missions.  The German soldier is removed and replaced with a more deterministic method of shutting down districts and triggering a player loss.  In summary, a quick game with an interesting theme.

      Even after those two games, we still had time, so AMERICAN RAILS was brought out.  This is Tim Harrisons rail game obvious inspired by Chicago Express (with proper credit given) but with some nice twists.  The start location of the trains is not fixed, nor is the initial auction order.  Furthermore, players spend three rounds selecting actions and since the actions are on a vertical track, these choices translate into player order for the next round.

      Rich tried to monopolize the 2-share company (Liberty/Red) and did get the second share mid-game and was able to build all of its track to have a company generating some $29 per dividend phase.  The other large (valuable) company was American (white) which was split between Dave and Tim.  As the game rushed towards its end, Dave did expand the American to eat into the Libertys cities (costing Rich while helping Dave) with tight scores at the end:

           Dave: 127 / Rich: 113 / Tim: 110

      With three players and three expand actions per round, the first half of the game was vigorous expansion of the initial railways.  This was also mentioned by another game group on BGG which resulted in an interesting strategy discussion by the designer of the game.  We certainly enjoyed the game and felt it was less obtuse than Chicago Express.  Hard to say after one play whether that is a reflection on the game itself or a reflection of having experience with Chicago Express that translated to this game.

      THIS WEEK:

      The other game I had ready for last week was Shipyard, but as I mentioned there are a few mechanisms at work in that game.  I would like to try that this week, and will explain the rules beforehand As discussed as we cleaned up, it would be helpful to have folks read (or scan) the rules before Wednesday night to help us get into the game that much faster.  So who is ready to build some ships?

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2010

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2010

          > So who is ready to build some ships?

          I'll be there, and I'll be ready.