Re: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 03 February

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010

      From: Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...>
      Subject: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 03 February
      To: trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, January 31, 2010, 11:16 PM

      Dave had been carrying the Adlung game: PALASTGEFLÜSTER (aka Dark Whisperings) wherein players attempt to build a tableau of cards in front of them of unique characters from within the palace. As each character has a special power or ability, there is some tactics to how to play out the cards to either outlast the other players (making them duplicate a character thereby losing the round) or going out with the unique tableau (thereby winning the round).  Several hands are played until one of the players has scored the requisite points for the win.

      A slow start for Dave as he was forced to go out the first two rounds giving everyone else +1 point.  But Dave then caught up quickly by forming the tableau (including one round wherein he could run his hand out).  With numerous rounds played, the scores did tend to bunch up and it was Dave and Rich tied at 4 points going into the last round.  Dave managed to force Sabrina to duplicate a character awarding Dave, Rich, and Tim the point.  The tie between Dave and Rich was broken by Dave having more cards played on the table as Rich had not a chance to play a single card in the last round.  Some nice combinations in card play (and Daves experience playing the game before seemed to help him come from behind) so a compact, tactical card game that plays in 30 to 45 minutes.  Our final scores:

      Dave: 5 (and tie-break)  / Rich: 5  / Tim: 4  / Sabrina: 3

      For a night cap, the semi-serious, semi-dexterous game A LA CARTE was brought out.  Players are given a stove with a pan (nicely over produced bits) and then must attempt to cook recipes by seasoning them just right as well as having the proper temperature.  The dexterity component is in adding the spices (or flipping the Crepe Suzette).  Silly light hearted fun with amazingly over-produced bits.  Sabrina and Dave were the star cooks while Rich and Tim kept burning or over seasoning their recipes.  In fact, Sabrina even made one recipe perfectly!  But in the end, Dave did manage to win by one point:

      Dave: 13 points (5 recipes) / Sabrina: 12 points (3 recipes) / Tim: 3 points (1 recipe) / Rich: 2 points (1 recipe)

      THIS WEEK:

      With my business trip postponed to a Thursday departure, I am ready to host and play more games.  A couple of new games might be ready for games:  Dungeon Lords or Power Grid: Factory Manager, so an indication of which might be more appealing would help me focus on the right game.  The carryover from prior weeks - I still have that punched copy of Homesteaders also.  Lots of possibilities to account for any number of gamers.  So lets get started with a sound off for attendance.

      Who is up for …..

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2010
        > Who is up for ...
        > GAMES: