Invitation to Games - 20 January

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 17, 2010
      Invitation to Games - 20 January

      LAST WEEK:

      A full moon (I know it was a waning crescent, but that makes what follows less thematic) brought Tim and Dave over for games, so we brought out LUNA LLENA Dave and Tim were the campers who awoke to find two of their mates missing in the heart of the unknown forest.  Rich lead the werewolf clan trying to stop them.  The campers set out at 6 AM to  uncover the trail and find artifacts to help them.  The few encounters with a few strange folks in the woods had little effect as these folks kept tripping.  By 4 pm, the lair had been found and the hostages rescued shortly thereafter.  As night fell, none of the humans were susceptible to the werewolf gene, so more attacks would be needed (as well as killing off the other 4 humans.)  As the campers fled the lair, the big confrontation ensued with three lupine werewolves attacking the campers.  And clumsy ones they were for they ALL tripped on their first combat cards.  In fact, the axe decapitated Wanda leaving only 2 werewolves in the game.  In no time, the humans were on the brink of escape, so with time running short, it was declared a human victory.

      The game was amusing and thematic, but it did take us nearly 2.5 hours to play which was rather surprising.  On the good side, it didnt feel like that long.  And much of our first game was figuring out various clarifications in the rules as well as a rules explanation.  However, we did note that the campers had picked up almost ALL the items, so wondered what rules we had missed.  And in reading the rules again, I found a few buried sentences here and there that we missed:

      ·       Running costs each character that runs 1 calm.

      ·       One weapon max can be used in combat by the campers

      ·       When searching and items are found they are to be shared with all in the hex.

      I dont know how much this might have changed our game.  Perhaps more scared characters and less cards in hands for the human players?  I can see the werewolf would like to engage the campers to try to bite them in the daytime (or at least have them lose calm), but seems difficult to achieve.  I think more bloodthirsty frenzy attacks (costing 3PP instead of 1, but only in areas with 3 wolves for sniffing) would be a key.  This lets the wolf player attack using the wolf icon on the combat cards.  I also think this one might work better with more players as the coordination between campers is a bit harder.  Despite all that small enough and thematic enough that I will carry this around and see where I might be able to play this again.

      THIS WEEK:

      Ready to host and play more games.  I am in the mood for some Karl-Heinz Schmiel games.  No, not Die Macher, but perhaps Extrablatt with a night cap of A La Carte.  Dave has been carrying Palastgeflüster the past few weeks, so perhaps we can try that instead/also?  I still have that punched copy of Homesteaders also.  Lots of possibilities to account for any number of gamers.  So lets get started with a sound off for attendance.

      Who is up for …..

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2010

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2010

          > Who is up for ...