Invitation to Games - 9 December

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
      Invitation to Games - 9 December

      LAST WEEK:

      Dave did bring his freshly won copy of Terra Prime and the four of us set out to conquer distant sectors.  Early on, Tim had a choice of a green or blue planet as his first colony.  As luck would have it, he opted for blue and won a green hold as a reward.  Rich did settle a green planet close to Terra Prime, but won the blue hold as his reward.  But the green planet turned out to the be the only such planet close to Terra Prime so many players did stop by to use the colony allowing Rich to gain several LPs in the process.  Rich continued to explore outward for the yellow planet (needing to clear out some aliens along the way), but Tim focused on getting blue/green back to Terra Prime to fulfill demand.  But as the game end neared, Tim loaded up on shields and guns to gain the LPs for exploring the red sectors.

      With four players, the exploration and movement seemed to split into two halves.  Dave and Sabrina exploring and working one side while Rich and Tim worked the other side.  We did quickly get through the various phases and our game ended rather quickly as the first three Phase 5 rewards triggered the E-N-D of the game.  Score (Total = LP + Credits + Goods + Demand + Tech Upgrades)

              Tim:    53  =  39 + 3 + 3 + 6 + 2

              Dave:   46  =  32 + 6 + 2 + 3 + 3

              Rich:   46  =  35 + 4 + 3 + 2 + 2

              Sabr:   26  =  14 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 3

      With time left in our session, we brought out a classic oldie TANTE TARANTEL.  Our bugs started out slowly while Tante moved rather quickly to the bugs starting place, sending many of them into the red.  While Tim and Sabrina were exiting their first bugs, Rich was the first to have his bug eaten for good.  Everyone did manage to get at least one bug out, and the game came down to which second bug would come out and when.  As it turned out, on Daves turn, he realized he could do no better than second by exiting (and ending the game) as to wait for a chance at a higher score would only result in Tante eating her last bug to end the game.

              Tim:    17 (2 exits / 1 consumed)

              Dave:   15 (2/2)

              Sabr:   12 (2/0)

              Rich:    6  (1/2)

      (For those interested in this game the original is very difficult to find, but Doris & Frank just published a combined Igel Argern/Tante Tarantel version which should be somewhat easier to find.)

      THIS WEEK:

      As we face the cold spell, it should be a perfect time to stay inside and warm up around board games.  (And no, I dont mean tossing them on the pyre for heat!)  I will continue to read up on Steam over Holland if we want to try that again Looking at the bookcase might have Mexica ready also so we can finish out the mask trilogy having had both Tikal and Java hit the table in previous sessions.

      Who will brace the cold and come on over for …..

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009
        I'll be there.

        -tim

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 7, 2009

            > Who will brace the cold and come on over for ...

          • Kristian
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 9, 2009
              Hi Rich,

              Due to a twist of fate and liberal use of a snowplow, Lisa and I will make it to game with you all tonight.

              See you about 6:00-6:30.

              Kris