Invitation to Games - 1 November

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2009
      Invitation to Games - 1 November

      LAST WEEK:

      Dave arrived giving Rich a chance to try out TRIUMVIRATE, a self-published trick taking game.  The deck features 27 cards 0~8 in each of three colors / suits representing Caesar, Pompey, and Crassus.  A purely 2P game where the players arent a specific color, but are hoping to score enough points in the winning color at the end of a round to win the round.  With only some cards set aside each hand, this is a game of hand management and of trying to get certain colors to win tricks.  A nice filler game and a perfect lunchtime game for 2P.  It can be played over several rounds, but we opted for one just to get a feel for the game.  Rich had the 7 Legion card in black on his side to win 7-0 when black did win to lead the Triumvirate.

      By now, Sabrina was itching to get into the game play, so Rich brought out IN FLUCH DER MUMIE a one against the others game available only from the European arm of Ravensburger.  One player is a mummy moving through the tombs trying to catch the explorers.  The other players are these explorers each trying to get 5 artifacts to win the game.  The twist is that the game board is vertical and the explorers move one side and the mummy player moves on the other side.  The mummy player does not see where the explorers are while the explorers can see the mummy.  Sabrina wanted to be the mummy first and did a good job of chasing down Rich and Dave capturing each a final time eliminating them from the game when they each had but one artifact to collect.  The game plays so quickly, that Sabrina wanted to try as explorer, so Rich opted to be the mummy.  This time Sabrina managed to evade Richs mummy and gain the 5 artifacts for the win.

      With time still left, we looked at the list of games that Sabrina wanted to play and DOMINION was selected as a final game of the evening.  We played with just the recommended starting set.  Sabrina went down the path towards Villages and Smithy to gain multiple cards and plays to gain provinces.  Rich opted for a leaner hand trying to gather as much gold as possible.  Dave was a little rusty in the game and struggled to get working combinations.  When Rich purchased the last province the game was over.  Rich had a deck of only 7 kingdom cards and 8 gold which allowed him to acquire:  6 Provinces, 3 Duchies, and 3 Estates for 48 points.  Sabrina had 5 Provinces, 3 Duchies, and 3 Estates for 42 points Dave had only 1 Province, 4 Duchies, and 3 Estates for 21 points.

      THIS WEEK:

      I am still interested in getting a multi-player game of Peloponnes to the table.  As I noted last week, this is a Civilization like tile game that appears to play quickly that I would like to give it a try next week.  If we have time, we could try out Days of Steam is another tile game (this time trains) that we could also try if we have time.  But I also just acquired Lancashire (New England) Railways (the two games are identical mechanically, just differ in the geographic region and map).  Would be interesting to play the game(s) that started the whole move a colored good to the same colored city genre of train games.  So with a few choices available, please let me know if you can attend and which (if any) preference for games you might have when we get together for..

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009

        From: Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@...>
        Subject: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 1 November
        To: trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sunday, November 1, 2009, 11:19 PM

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2009

        • RMUCB
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2009
            Hey all, sorry to be missing out on another game night.

            The problems with the bridge last week made scheduling anything a bit haphazard.

            Still getting things back on track.

            Hopefully things will settle down for next week, I am itching to game.

            Have fun tonight.

            R.