Re: [trivalleygamers] Invitation to Games - 28 October

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 28, 2009
      My apologies, but I won't be able to make it tonight after all.

      Thanks
      Tim

      From: Richard Pardoe <RPardoe@pacbell. net>
      To: trivalleygamers@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Sunday, October 25, 2009, 11:30 PM

      LAST WEEK:

      Tim and Dave joined Rich as we brought out Last Train to Wensleydale, Martin Wallaces latest game.  This time a game of building small railways hoping to move passengers, stone and cheese before having their parts incorporated into the major railways in the region.  Players bid for government influence (used to remove reluctant farmers who dont wish trains in their region and to determine build order), engine influence (used to determine train purchase and ship order), and influence with Midland Rail and North Eastern Rail (used primarily to convince them to take over your unprofitable lines).  In a full 4P game, the 8 bidding spots would each be occupied, but in our 3P game, the last bidder had a choice of several options, a point I shall mention again in a bit.

      Victory in the game is simply amassing the most goods shipped with bonuses for a complete set of stone, cheese, MR passenger and NER passenger.  An additional bonus if your shipments were profitable (or a demerit if they were not).  And a demerit for any track still on the map at the end of the game.

      As we got started, each of us started in a different area of the map which allowed us all to lay track and ship for modest profits.  Again done on turn 2 at which point Tim commented that the rate of goods depletion on the map was such that he wondered if the 5th and final turn would be of any use.  We continued through all 5 rounds with Tims comment have a tinge of prophecy.  Tim didnt really build anything on the last turn for to do would only cost him VPs.  Rich and Dave did engage in a bidding war for build turn order to capitalize on a key connection Rich needed to ship NER passengers and Dave needed to prevent Rich (as well as to access stone).  Rich thought he was outbid and forgot that he could have bid a bit more as he had unused capital he could have converted to build points to help pay for the track.

      With the final turn complete, we summed up our victory points:

      Tim: 36 / Dave: 22 / Rich: 11

      But none of us felt that satisfied with the game.  There is certainly a bit of fiddliness in constantly adjusting the influence tokens, and the bidding in 3P seemed less tense with the multiple options for the last player.  I wonder if this game is really meant as a 4P and 4P only game.  The anticlimax of the 5th turn (no or limited builds to avoid VP loss) seemed to emphasize that the game should be played in 4 turns also.

      THIS WEEK:

      Just punched and read the rules to Peloponnes a civilization like tile game that appears to play quickly that I would like to give it a try next week.  Days of Steam is another tile game (this time trains) that we could also try if we have time.  Of course, with the Halloween weekend approaching open to a more topical, thematic suggestion if others wish for that.  Let me know.if you can attend and what you might want to play: