Invitation to Games - 9 September

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2009
      Invitation to Games - 9 September

      Dave, Jeff, and Tim arrived and after some discussion, Lokomotive Werks was the game of the evening.  This game is best described as the train rush of an 18xx game extracted and played as a game unto itself.  Players purchase specific models of trains, adding production for models hoping to supply the customer demand.  As money invested in production is never lost, only shifted and modified, the game is one of economic efficiency especially as any model needs to sell four times to recoup its development cost.  Starting with a small ($10) treasury, each player races towards $300 the first to get there wins.  The variability in the game derives from the changing customer demand (simulated by dice rolls) coupled with a nice mechanism to extinct older model while increasing demand for newer ones.

      With it being a game of efficiency, the game does punish mistakes by other players, a point Dave commented on at the end of the game when commenting that his purchase of a few trains (Red 2 and Yellow 3) was perhaps a round too late.  The game also started of with the future demand in the Red 1st generation train being only a 1 so the first player (Rich) was the only person to take advantage of that which led to him being just a bit ahead of Tim early in the game.  Tim and Rich seemed to be racing each other throughout the game, but Tim seemed to always have the most money at the end of any turn so remained stuck as the last player of the round.  Jeff seemed to sit on the sidelines, but then mid-game started to accelerate to catch up to Tim and Rich.  As the end approached, Rich got a good income turn ($177) which thrust him into 4th place and a rather poor income ($80) but this let him become the first player to gain handsomely ($205 from six Yellow 3, six Red 4, 3 Blue 2, and 2 Green 5) which pushed him to $343 for the final round (or $309 after taxes).  Tim and Jeff both crossed $300, but taxes took both under $300 ($297 and $290 respectively) while Dave finished at $249:

      Rich: $309 / Tim: $297 / Jeff: $290 / Dave: $249

      While we are enjoying the holiday weekend now, Wednesday will be another games night and Im ready to host For Wednesday, I was thinking of a few games that could hit the table.   LONG SHOT is a racing game from Z-Man that has player buying the racing horses (and betting on them) during the race, but with some cards to change the results beyond the die roll result.  DAYS OF STEAM is a tile laying train game that I would like to try also.  ABER BITTE MIT SAHNE is a game based solely on I divide, you choose.  If anyone has any games they would like to have at the table, please include that in your RSVP.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2009

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2009
          Thanks for the invite, Rich,

          But I have work this week.

          Take care,
          Kris
        • RMUCB
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7, 2009
            Thanks for the update, sounds like an interesting week last week.

            As long as the Bay Bridge is open that day, I should be able to make it out.

            See you then, thanks!

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 8, 2009

              I'll be there. And I don't have any particular title I'm burning to play, so prep something you want to play, Rich.

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 13, 2009
                Invitation to Games - 16 September

                Dave, Tim, and Ricardo joined Sabrina and Rich for a night of 5 player games.  First up was LONG SHOT a horse racing game wherein the horses start unowned with no bets and players can buy, bet, or perform other actions as the horses race the course.  The race track is 19 spaces long with horses moving if their number is rolled on a one die (10-sided, each horse represented once) and moving the distance shown on the other die (0,1,1,1,1,3).  After movement, a player may perform a single action (buy an unowned horse, bet on any horse, play an action card, or turn in two cards for $5).  The turn ends by drawing a new card.  The winner isnt the owner of the first horse, it is the person who has the most money at games end.  Owning a horse helps, but isnt the sole way to win as bets made during the game can be key as well as money made during the game.  Being our first game, we didnt have a real idea what might work best so the first turns saw every player buying horses such that we all ended up with 2 each.  I did look at the tall stack of action (Long Shot) cards and thought no way we would see them all, but by the time the game ended, we had gone through most of the deck .  During the race, Ricardo was given the option of selling back on of his horses which he did as that horse was a distant last.  The money from that transaction turned out to critical to the final standings.  Tims horse was the first to finish followed by one of Ricardos granting both players a nice pot in addition to bets.  But good bets are also good as Rich managed a strong third without owning any of the winning horses:

                    Ricardo: $220 / Tim:  $210 / Rich: $195 / Dave: $105 / Sabrina: $80

                With time left, ABER BITTE MIT SAHNE was brought out (and a few minutes wasted as we tried to find the rules translation).  11 pieces of cake are dealt to the middle.  The dealer then divides the cake into up to 5 (number of player) sections and each player in turn can decide to take a section or not.  The goal being to try to get the majority in a specific flavor for a large number of points or to eat the piece immediately for lesser (but more certain) points.  While Dave and Sabrina were vying for the high-valued chocolate pieces, Tim was doing a fine  job just eating them pointing out that his three pieces netted him 9 points compared to the 11 possible for having the majority.  (Of course, this removes the point denial aspect of the majority.)  The first few rounds went quickly, but the game slowed down as folks started to see the impact of both the cake division as well as of the sections taken (or not taken).  But still the game was over in just over 30 minutes:

                    Dave: 24 / Tim: 23 / Sabrina: 18 / Rich: 15 / Ricardo

                With those games under our belt, I look at the game shelves for possible games this week.  DUCK DEALER, Splotters game of intergalactic trading seems to be calling so I will be reading up on the rules for that one.  Let me know if you have a preference for this (or any other) game when indicating whether or not you can attend.

                My house
                in San Ramon

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 14, 2009

                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 15, 2009
                    RE: Invitation to Games - 16 September

                    Forgot to mention.I also have an intriguing two-player trick taking game TRIUMVIRATE which was self-published and which I won as part of a random drawing.   A single game takes about 15 minutes or so, so if anyone wants to show up a tad early, I would love to give this one a quick tryout as well before the main game of the evening

                  • dawilson65
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 15, 2009

                      I'll be there. I'll see if I can get there a bit early to try out Triumvirate, but it's not a given.