Invitation to Games - 26 August

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 24, 2009
      Invitation to Games - 26 August

      Lighter quicker fare was the call of the evening as we managed to get in three games.  First up was Witchs Brew, a game of role selection (simultaneous card selection) which are played in hopes of gaining their abilities (sequential card play).  The key is that if other players have selected the same role, they can opt to take that role (and its privileges from you.)  All with the aim of mixing ingredients into potions to gain VPs for games end.  The game started a bit tentatively as we worked out the various cards and abilities, but was going pretty quickly after the first round.  I like the decision in each round of which 5 (of 12) roles to attempt to play.  I found some success playing the red cards (stealing others ingredients or gold) to gain a bookshelf card.  I also liked those cards as defensive cards when holding (or having the potential to hold) a large amount of either gold or ingredients.

          Rich:  23 Points / Dave: 17 Points / Sabrina: 14 Points / Tim: 14 Points / Jeff: 14 Points

      This was followed by HurryCup an interesting racing game with a simultaneous grab element (to decide how many possible spaces one might move).  Movement was a bit confusing at first (the use of the coloured die for number of spaces, but then adding an accelerator die and multiplying the sum by 10 to get the speed travelled) but quickly worked out.  But no one seemed to enjoy the grab element, especially as the distances werent all equal for all the players around the table.  We played on, with Tim just beating Dave.  Rich trailed the pack so points are awarded by how far in front of the red lantern others are:

              Tim: 13 + 3 for finishing / Dave: 9 / Sabrina: 4 / Jeff: 1 / Rich: 0

      With less than half an hour left, Sabrina suggested For Sale as the nightcap game.  A pleasant game that was just perfect despite the fact I won both void checks as reflected in the score:

      Tim: 66 / Dave: 50 / Jeff: 50 / Sabrina: 45 / Rich: 31

      Some nice games.  I suspect Witchs Brew might show up for 5 again.  A role selection game I enjoyed due to the mix of how it was played out.  HurryCup is likely to sit dormant on the shelves (or hit the trade pile) as it was a bit disappointing despite the attractive package.  For Sale remains a favorite, a game I often travel with as it is easy to explain to new players and plays quickly.

      Well, I dont know if it was jet lag or not, but nice to see I was the good host by coming in last in the last two games. Ready to host again as getting back to the rhythm of the days is a great way to overcome jet lag.  So games again at my house.  Still have an unopened delivery of games which has Tales of the Arabian Nights in it.  Might see if I can prep that if we have the right number of folks attending.  Or we could explore some meatier games as a change of pace from last week.  Havent finalized my thoughts so would love to hear yours if you plan to attend.  Who is ready to play more ...

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 24, 2009

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 24, 2009

          > Who is ready to play more ...
          > GAMES:

          I'm ready, and I'll be there. I'm curious about Tales, but am up for anything.

          Dave
        • RMUCB
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 24, 2009
            I will make it out.  TotAN has me curious as well.

            R.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 25, 2009
              Hi Rich,

              Work this week. Unable to attend.