Invitation to Games - 10 June

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2009
      Invitation to Games - 10 June

      We knew that R. would be joining us for games tonight, so we (Dave, Tim, Rich, Sabrina) started off with a quick game of FITS, a game that has been described as Tetris meets boardgame.  A player has a placard of dots and attempts to drop the selected piece down to minimize the number of gaps in their placard.  To make the game different for everyone, each player starts with a different start piece but then places the remaining pieces in the same order.  We did get through only 2 rounds of this before R. showed up.  So rather than make him wait, we launched into our first game:

      Volle Hütte (Full House), a game where each player operates a bar and spends their turn deciding either to add more tables/attractions, attract more customers, or have patrons pay their tab.  What makes the game interesting is that patrons will then move to another table/attraction (could be in the same bar) so the game is one of trying to maximize the money earned, especially as some patrons leave without paying.  The game is somewhat luck dependant as one needs to see the right customers available to moves to ones tables/attractions but both are built from a semi-random draw of a few face-up cards from a face-down stack.  Dave seemed to be suffer the most from constant mismatches.  Rich and Sabrina both seemed to do well not only when tabs were collected, but also by having their patrons leave and pay when leaving.  The result was Rich and Sabrina ahead of R and Tim:

              Rich: 900 / Sabrina: 715 / R: 660 / Tim: 620 / Dave: 460

      With time left, Dave suggested a return to Factory Fun as there were some recent play sessions posted on the Geek.  Boy is this a game where the skills can get rusty.  I was having a hard time seeing possible connections and found myself always a tad slow grabbing the machine I wanted.  In the end, I built a factory of only 6 machines.  Tim and Dave were the ones racing with Tim getting 10 machines built while Dave had 8.  R in his first play did manage 7.  But the key in the game is the interconnects between machines as those reward nicely at games end.  Dave managed to get 50 points from his connections while Tim managed 45.

              Tim: 37+45=82 / Dave: 25+50 = 75 / Rich: 17+35=52 / R: 19+30 = 49

      A contrasting session from the previous week where we played a longer more involved one game.  This was a lighter, quicker week with 2.5 games played.

      Moving on to this week, I believe Dave will have a conflict the next few weeks, and is unable to attend.  I am ready to host and have plenty of games for any number of players that should wish to play.  Rather than suggest any titles now, let me see if I can get a rough headcount and plan from that.  Please reply if you can attend.

    • Ricardo Martinez
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 7, 2009
        I can make it out.

        Thanks!

        R.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2009

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2009
            Hey

            Now that Dave is gone I will be sure to win!!!!
            I can make it also!

            > We knew that R. would be joining us for games tonight, so we (Dave, Tim, Rich, Sabrina) started off with a quick game of FITS, a game that has been described as Tetris meets boardgame. A player has a placard of dots and attempts to drop the selected piece down to minimize the number of gaps in their placard. To make the game different for everyone, each player starts with a different start piece but then places the remaining pieces in the same order. We did get through only 2 rounds of this before R. showed up. So rather than make him wait, we launched into our first game:
            >
            > Volle Hütte (Full House), a game where each player operates a bar and spends their turn deciding either to add more tables/attractions, attract more customers, or have patrons pay their tab. What makes the game interesting is that patrons will then move to another table/attraction (could be in the same bar) so the game is one of trying to maximize the money earned, especially as some patrons leave without paying. The game is somewhat luck dependant as one needs to see the right customers available to moves to ones tables/attractions but both are built from a semi-random draw of a few face-up cards from a face-down stack. Dave seemed to be suffer the most from constant mismatches. Rich and Sabrina both seemed to do well not only when tabs were collected, but also by having their patrons leave and pay when leaving. The result was Rich and Sabrina ahead of R and Tim:
            >
            > Rich: 900 / Sabrina: 715 / R: 660 / Tim: 620 / Dave: 460
            >
            > With time left, Dave suggested a return to Factory Fun as there were some recent play sessions posted on the Geek. Boy is this a game where the skills can get rusty. I was having a hard time seeing possible connections and found myself always a tad slow grabbing the machine I wanted. In the end, I built a factory of only 6 machines. Tim and Dave were the ones racing with Tim getting 10 machines built while Dave had 8. R in his first play did manage 7. But the key in the game is the interconnects between machines as those reward nicely at games end. Dave managed to get 50 points from his connections while Tim managed 45.
            >
            > Tim: 37+45=82 / Dave: 25+50 = 75 / Rich: 17+35=52 / R: 19+30 = 49
            >
            > A contrasting session from the previous week where we played a longer more involved one game. This was a lighter, quicker week with 2.5 games played.
            >
            > Moving on to this week, I believe Dave will have a conflict the next few weeks, and is unable to attend. I am ready to host and have plenty of games for any number of players that should wish to play. Rather than suggest any titles now, let me see if I can get a rough headcount and plan from that. Please reply if you can attend….

          • Kristian Miller
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
              Hi Rich,

              Unfortunately we won't be able to make the 10th. As Lisa said, "Work Wednesday is Aaah!"

              Kris
            • Kristian Miller
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
                Hi Rich,

                An annoying twist of fate means that I will be in San Ramon this afternoon, but without Lisa.

                I will stop by at 6:15-ish but may not stay all evening.

                Cheers,
                Kris