Re: Invitation to Games - 27 May

  • rmucb
    Message 1 of 9 , May 27, 2009
      Hello All,

      I live out in the area and recently rediscovered tabletop gaming.

      It was great to find a group of players in the neighborhood.

      Richard has been kind enough to answer some of the questions I had
      regarding your gaming group.

      I am hoping to start making it out to your meetups (time permitting)
      to share some games and look forward to meeting you all.

      Take Care and Have Fun!

      R.

      > With only Tim and Dave, we opted to try a game that had been suggested a previous evening, but missed out due to too many players â€" BRASS â€" Martin Wallace’s game on the Industrial Revolution in Lancashire. Not being familiar with this game (a first time for all of us), we tried a variety of strategies. Tim started with early development to get rid of his level 1 Technologies. Rich built his on the map knowing they would go at the end of the canal phase, but perhaps yield victory points and help with income. At the end of the canal phase, this looked like a good plan as Rich had 38 VPs (26 from industry and 12 from canals.) Dave had 28 (20 in industry and 8 from canals) with Tim in the middle at 31 (27 from industry including the shipyard and only 4 from canals)
      >
      > And thus began the rail phase of the game. With the early developments and lots of cash, Dave and Tim made a good show of getting more technologies onto the board while Rich depended more on his income each turn. But by losing his Level 1 technologies, Rich had to “restart” a bit going into the rail phase and the scores reflected this. Tim ended the Rail phase with all level 3 and 4 technologies built and flipped for 118 VPs to which he added 25 from his track for a total of 143 points in the Rail Phase. Dave built a lot of valuable track (57 points) on top of 85 points from his industry for 142 points in the Rail Phase. Rich could only manage 54 from industry and 40 from track. (Not building any shipyards hurts.)
      >
      > Tim: 175 / Dave: 170 / Rich: 137
      >
      > Moving on to this week, I still have an interest in trying La Citta so continue to have that ready. As always, happy to shift to another game if others have a game they would like to try out. So who can make it?

    • Mike Hammond
      Message 2 of 9 , May 27, 2009

        Hi!

          Just to chip in my two cents, I’d like to suggest that you probably couldn’t be in better hands than at Richard Pardoe’s group.

          I live in the Chicago area, but travel a fair bit for work and have made visiting local game groups my way to occupy slack time in evenings.  I’ve gamed with probably half a dozen different groups over a few years, and none match the accomplishments of Richard’s intrepid little band in San Mateo.  I’ve been a guest twice, and have twice been amazed at the pre-planning, the welcoming attitude, and the – dare I say – efficient game playing that gets the group through typically two and occasionally three different games in a 2 ½ hour gaming session.

          On top of which (and without which this praise would ring somewhat hollow), this group is fun.  Richard has a drool-worthy collection of games, a commitment to actually being adept with the ruleset of each game before it hits the table, and a regular cast of characters in attendance that has to be seen to be believed.

          Welcome back to boardgaming!  And enjoy your time with Rich’s group.

        Warm regards,

           Mike Hammond

        Message 3 of 9 , May 27, 2009

          Mike –

          Thanks for the kind words.  Our group in San Ramon is pretty good also ;).

          R. did stop by tonight as we wrapped up a 4 player game of La Citta.  Only one game tonight which I expected as I had heard that La Citta runs about 30 minutes per player.  Hopefully will see R. again in the near future, as well as you Mike.  You fit right in with the regular cast of characters in attendance.

          Now to start prepping the rules for a possible game next week….Sunday’s invite will hint at what I have on my list, but happy to hear if others have a game they want to play (or replay).

          -          Rich

          Message 4 of 9 , May 28, 2009

            D’Oh!  Wrong San.