Invitation to Games - 7 May (Thursday?)

    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2009
      Invitation to Games - 7 May (Thursday?)

      The evening started with a game that Dave had been trying to play for some weeks, so to the table it went.  Midgard an area control game dressed up with a Viking theme.  And a quick player it was as we finished in about 30 minutes!  Tim managed to gain Asgard early in the game and use it for 15 VPs winning it in every round.  (Yes, as first players, we didnt focus on dislodging him).  Tim and Dave also worked on getting the territorial bonus while Rich worked on getting lots of points for warriors being sent to Valhalla each turn.  Final Scores:  Tim 106 / Dave 81 / Rich 78

      As I had been checking my copy of Pandemic and it was close to the table, Sabrina joined us and we attempted to save the world with 5 Epidemics in the deck.  A good start as Red was eradicated early, followed shortly thereafter by Yellows cure.  Sabrina was maneuvering to cure Blue while Rich was in position to cure Black.  But the black cubes were out on the board.  Blue was cured and Rich was ready to cure Black needing only to survive Tims turn to do so.  (Dave as the medic was going to reduce the epidemic threat in black on his turn before Richs).  But we drew the 5th epidemic in Chennai which used the last black cube.  Going through the infector phase, we drew an outbreak in Algiers and game over.  (We had experienced 7 outbreaks and were only 8 cards from the end of the player deckso a close game.)

      Still with time left, I brought out Ivanhoe, a game I had picked up at GMT after I saw the reviews comparing it to the new Gem Dealer reprint brought out by Gryphon Games (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/380833 I went for Ivanhoe due to more varied artwork and the action cards.  A quick shuffle and we were on our way.  Despite the artwork, this is really just a trick playing game were one is forced to follow suit with the highest total played winning that hand.  The winner is the first to win tricks in 4 (for our 4P game) different suits.  Ivanhoe dresses this up as a tournament with jousting, swords, axes, etc.  An interesting twist is that the winner tends to be down cards to those who drop out as a result of the drawing a card to start your turn then deciding to play or pass.  Rich started strong winning two hands, but with a dimished set of cards couldnt really compete until building up more cards in hand.  Sabrina and Dave then won the next hands before Tim started a nice run of three tricks won.  But lost a trick to Sabrina who then proceeded to win two more for a total of four unique and the game.

      So a rather diverse mix of shorter games last week..

      Moving on to this week, I have a conflict on Wednesday this week.  Rather than cancel games outright, I wanted to see if folks might be able to make a shifted day and play on Thursday instead?  If folks cant make it, I figure it is no different than cancelling outright.  But if folks can make, we can salvage gaming this week.  Anyone up for games on Thursday?

          Wednesday Thursday Night, 18:30 to ~21:00

      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2009
        Thursday is fine for me.

        Thanks
        Tim

        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2009
          > Anyone up for games on Thursday?

          I can make it on Thursday. See you then.