Invitation to Games - 4 March

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2009
      Invitation to Games - 4 March

      Last week it was The Red Dragon Inn as the group sat down to see who could last the longest.  I have both games mixed together so we mixed and matched characters Dimli the Dwarf (Tim) was a weakling and the first eliminated.  It looked like Gog the Half-Ogre (Dave) would be next, but a coulpe of well placed challenges weakened Zot the Wizard (with Pooky) (Sabrina) leaving Gog to face Fiona the Volatile (Rich).  Both were tipsy, but Gog managed to weaken Fiona under the table to be the last one standing.  This is a nice fame with plenty of opportunity for play-acting by reading out the cards.  As each deck/character is different, there is also some variety of play.  And plays up to 8 (with both games combined).  Not a game to play all the time, but a nice change of pace when it is played.  (As a footnote, Sabrina did ask to play this again afterwards and the game works quite well as a 2P game as well.)

      We next tried Power Play (aka Slapshot!) that Dave had received recently.  Dave jumped into an early lead winning his first 5 games.  But Rich had the bruiser on his initial team, so was weakening others team.  And after some early losses, Rich was tied with Dave at 7 wins apiece with time running out.  So to give an outright victor, Rich challenged Dave to see who would end with the most victories.  A close game, but Rich prevailed 3-1 to get his 8th victory:

          Rich: 8-4 / Dave: 7-7 / Tim: 5-5 / Sabrina: 3-7

      I realize that this game has a large following with folks rooting for their team.  And initially it was fun to play and try to outthink your opponent while playing games.  But our game just dragged on and I began to dislike the downtime when it wasnt my turn as I had to watch others play their games (of course, I could be watching to see what cards they had).  A fun game I would play again especially if the length could be reduced.

      Looking ahead to this week .  I have read and would like to get Le Havre to the table if there is interest.  I also have Planet Steam headed my way and have read the rules to that in anticipation.  Of course, if anyone has any suggestions they would like to play, drop me a line and I can have that game ready for Wednesday also.   So lets see who is available and would like to attend:

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2009

          > So who is available and would like to attend:
          > GAMES:

          I'll be attending. See you then.