Game Notes - 28 May - A STORM OF SWORDS (Game of Thrones for 4)

    Message 1 of 409 , Jun 2, 2008
      Dave, David, and Tim joined Rich for an evening of game. As David carried
      some games over, we went with one of his suggestions...A STORM OF SWORDS
      which is the second expansion to A GAME OF THRONES but its forte is that it
      has a map focusing on the middle of the territory and lets 4P vie for
      control. So one gets a very good 4P game of AGOT....

      Rich started as Baratheon and tried to take over Kings Landing (occupied by
      Tim as Lannister) but several attacks failed and by the time Baratheon could
      muster and marshall forces to bear, Lannister had also moved over forces
      from the southwest to support and curtail the attack. Without Kings
      Landing, Baratheon is pretty isolated (especially as leaders are captured in
      battle) and gets reduced in efficacy pretty quickly. While Lannister was
      defending Kings Landing and consolidating a southern Defense, the northern
      forces of Stark (David) and Greyjoy (Dave) started to expand into the South
      to threaten Tim's early lead. Stark coming South through Harremhal; Greyjoy
      down the coast.

      Despite an active pace, we did run out of time, calling the game about a
      turn early as we needed to clean up. When called, Greyjoy and Stark both
      had 6 (of the 8) VPs needed to the win. Lannister had been reduced to 5 VP,
      and Baratheon had been reduced to 2 VPs.

      For me (Baratheon), it was far too long since I last played AGOT, so it took
      me a turn or two to get into the swing of the game, but by that time I had
      been repulsed and minimized to be of much impact to the game. I look
      forward to having another go of this and glad I have the games in my
      collection.

      Message 409 of 409 , Jun 3, 2008
        --- In trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Pardoe" <RPardoe@...>