Next TVB Meeting

  • Sterling Wright
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 1999
      Hi everybody. The next TVB is this wednesday at 7. I believe we're meeting
      at Scott's appartment again. Hope to see everyone there.

      On a second note, gamesday was a smashing success. I got one new name that
      I am inviting to show up this wednesday and bought 3 new games (at 25% off)
      from Neutral Ground (Tikal, El Grande, and El Caballero). I also played a
      few new games (though the ones I brought turned out to be pretty popular),
      one of which I didn't care for (Mama Mia) and another I would really like to
      find(Entengruetze).

      Well, I hope to see everyone Wednesday,

      Sterling
    • Scott Patterson Milster
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
        Yes, my place is still available.

      • Mark.E.Johnson@xxxxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
          Sterling:
          >On a second note, gamesday
          >was a smashing success.

          Sounds great! This time it was on a Saturday, right? Just maybe I'll be
          able to attend one someday. I just can't get one of those things going down
          here. :-(

          >Tikal, El Grande, and El Caballero

          I'll be interested to hear what you think of them. I've always felt like I
          was one of the only people on the planet that didn't love El Grande (or
          Acquire). Now you can add Tikal to that list! I *do* enjoy El Cab quite a
          bit, however.

          >one of which I didn't care for
          >(Mama Mia)
          Me neither!

          >Entengruetze
          What's this?

          -MJ
        • Sterling Wright
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
            Hmm, I've played El Grande before and enjoyed it. I haven't played Tikal or
            El Cab yet, but I have heard good things about both. Tikal keeps getting
            compared to Settlers, though from the rules I don't see the comparison.
            Hopefully I didn't waste my money on it.

            Entengruetze is an interesting game that has a large novelty factor as well
            as a fair bit of strategy and the occasional bit of luck. The board is a
            duck pond broken into an 8 x 8 grid. Each of the players takes on one of
            four sets animals (duck, frog, fish, and stork). Each set has four pieces
            colored red, yellow, blue, and green. After placing the animals on the board
            in their starting positions, you place four bits of duckweed on the pond
            randomly (rolling two d6s and ignoring the boarders). The object is to get
            your animals to the duckweed of the same color and eat it before the other
            players can. The trick is, each of your animals have a strength that is
            counterbalanced by one of your other animals. For example when your red
            animal get stronger, your green animal gets weaker and vice versa. Same
            with blue and yellow. 14 is the prime strength. When the red duck is 14,
            the green duck is also 14. Whenever an animal moves on the board, depending
            on the direction it moved, two of your animals strength changes. For
            example, I move one of my ducks one space along the x axis. The red duck
            gets stronger by one point and the green duck gets weaker by one point. If I
            had moved it the other direction the green duck would have gotten stronger
            and the red duck would have gotten weaker, and if I had moved along the y
            axis the blue and yellow ducks would have changed strength. The number of
            points you get for eating duckweed is the difference between the strength of
            the animal that ate it and the strength of the animal who counterbalances
            it. For example, If my red duck ate the red duckweed and had a strength of
            20, then because my green duck has a strength of 8, I get 12 points. If my
            red duck had a strength of 8, so my green duck has a strength of 20, then I
            get -12 points. The fun bit is that when one animal enters a square
            containing another animal, the stronger will throw the weaker. The thrown
            animal is thrown in a streight line and animal's strengths are adjusted just
            as if that animal had moved those spaces. You play until someone gets to a
            pre-specified point total.

            Well, that was a long route to explain a small little game. Hope it made
            some sort of sense.

            On a note I forgot to put in my original e-mail, I talked with Matt about
            Lunatix Loop and he is still struggleing with the rules. Because we are
            supposed to play based on the rules without any help from him, he is trying
            to make it as clean as possible. I still haven't seen the game, I
            purposefully stayed away while him and some others were playing it last
            saturday.

            Well, that's all for now. See you all (except Mark :) wednesday.

            Sterling

          • Sterling Wright
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 26, 1999
              The next TVB meeting will be this Wednesday at my place. If you need
              directions, let me know.

              Sterling