Invitation to Play - Games - June 7

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2006
      We recently played Um Krone und Kragen, one of the many games released at
      Nürnberg 2006, there were many other games released at that time also:

      Thurn und Taxis
      Mykerinos
      Mauerbauer
      California
      Einfach Genial Reise-Edition for zwei
      Hart an der Grenze
      Flussgeister am Niagara
      Los Mampfos

      Anyone interested in trying a few of these? Or any other game? I am ready
      to host:

      Wednesday Night, ~18:30 to ~21:00

      PS - (repeat) I won't be able to host games at the end of June (28th) and
      the start of July (5th, 12th) - just mention this so if anyone wishes to
      consider hosting - you have plenty of advance notice to work out the
      details.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2006
        --- In trivalleygamers@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Pardoe" <RPardoe@...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2006
          Despite all the new games on offer, only Dave showed up tonight, so we
          decided to revist the town of Arkham and see what sort of Horror was
          brewing.

          As is our usual practice when playing Arkham Horror, we randomly dealt out
          characters. Dave got Kate Winthrop (Scientist) while Rich drew Jenny Barnes
          (Socialite). We then randomly drew Nyarlathotep as our monster.

          The first gate opened on the Unvisited Isle bringing forth a Mi-Go with it.
          As Arkham was celebrating "Witch Burning" Anniversary, the Black Man and a
          Formless Spawn were seen roaming the streets of Rivertown. This also
          triggered a clue to appear under Kate's very noise which she readily
          grabbed. Kate then headed to the Unnamable for another clue token while
          Jenny took her bankroll to the Curiousitie Shoppe and was lucky enough to
          purchase an Elder Sign from the offerings. Nyarlathotep's tried to open a
          gate at the Unnamable, but Kate's Flux Stabilizer forestalled that event.

          Kate turned out to have a nose for clues as another appeared at the
          Unnamable as Nyarlathotep managed to open a gate in Independence square and
          summon forth a cultist. Jenny decided to go after the cultist armed only
          with a knife. A quick stab and the cultist was dispatched as Jenny was
          swept into the Great Hall of Celeano.

          Kate went after the Mi-Go at the Unvisited Isle, dispatching it before
          entering the Plains of Leung. Kate's first encounter was a rope which led
          the way directly back to Arkham for a very quick trip to the Other Worlds.
          A quick skill check and five clue tokens later - the gate was closed and
          sealed.

          Jenny traveled a few turns through Celeano and returned safely to use the
          Elder Sign to seal that gate. Looking at the board, we realized that we had
          no open gates on the board, we each had a clue token, so we appeared to have
          won. As we didn't find any contradictory information, we decided we had won
          with an elapsed time of about 30 minutes.

          Thinking why it was so fast, we realized that several events conspired to
          keep the open gate count low. The first mythos card opened a gate under
          Kate - but her ability (flux stabilizer) stopped that, so a couple of turns
          into the game, we were still at one open gate. Another factor was Kate's
          fortunate encounter in Leung which allowed her tor return and seal the gate
          in one move (instead of the normal 3). This closed a gate before more could
          open. The final bit of luck was an opening of a gate at the Unvisited Isle
          after it was sealed. So again, no additional gates opened on the board. A
          game of circumstance for sure, but still a quick win.

          With the game over so quickly, we decided to launch into another playing.
          Our random characters this time were Joe Diamond (Private Eye) for Dave and
          Carolyn Fenn (Psycologist) for Rich. Our monster this time was Azathoth.

          Joe headed over to Hibb's Roadhouse and turned down an invitation to talk by
          a gin-breathed Ryan, losing a chance to gain an ally. Carolyn headed over
          to the Curiositie Shoppe and picked up the Blue Watcher of the Pyramid which
          allowed her to lose 2 stamina, but automatically succeed a skill check to
          close a gate (or a combat check). But Carolyn next heads to the Unnammable
          only to be assaulted by rats and finds herself lost in time and space. Joe
          on the other hand, sneaks by a maniac to the Black Cave which is guarded by
          a Nightgaunt and Gug as well as an opening to a gate. Joe intentionally
          rolls a poor fight against the Nightgaunt - losing the combat check and is
          sucked into the nearest gate (same location) and enters the Plateau of Leung
          with a nice tactic to avoid the Gug on the way.

          But then the Rivertown residents clean up the streets removing several
          monsters from the board. But a rumour then surfaces about disturbing the
          dead. Until we could discard 2 gate trophies, the terror level would
          increase each turn on a roll of 1 or 2. Joe by this time returned for the
          Plateau but can't close the gate, even with spending the extra clue token.
          So Joe sits at the spot to try again next turn. But to do so, means evading
          the Dark Young hovering around the gate. Joe does this and is more
          successful closing the gate.

          Recovering from her sojourn, Carolyn finds a witch but shreds it to pieces
          with a double barreled blast from her shotgun. But while exploring the
          Unvisited Isle, Carolyn has a gate open under her sucking her into the
          Abyss. While Joe is in the Curiousitie Shoppe hoping for the Elder Sign,
          Carolyn makes it through the Abyss and seals and closes the gate upon her
          return. Seeing a Shoggoth roaming the streets, Carolyn uses her Powder of
          Ibn Gaza to kill the Shoggoth.

          The rumours about town were not helping as the terror level continued to
          increase. Furthermore, gate's kept opening at the Witch's House (already
          with an open gate) triggering monster surges throughout town. Clue tokens
          had disappeared and were hard to acquire - so Joe and Carolyn often went to
          the Science Building to spend a gate trophy for clue tokens. With much
          effort, 4 gates were sealed, but the doom and terror tracks were both quite
          high.

          Carolyn plunged into the Dreamlands but lost her Stamina to again fall
          unconscious only to waken lost in time and space and losing half of her
          possession (including those all valuable clue tokens). Having recovered,
          Carolyn tries again, but in R'lyeh. But again loss of stamina results in
          unconsciousness and another experience lost in time and space.

          Having gained clue tokens, Joe headed into the Dreamlands and makes it out
          to close and seal the gate (#5). So we needed only one more gate.

          Joe went to the Great Race needed to pass a luck check to avoid going
          insane. Unfortunately, the initial roll was no good, so perhaps spend a
          clue token, then another, then another. By the time Joe passed - 5 clue
          tokens had been spent. The gate might be closed, but it couldn't be sealed.
          As a result, Joe left the gate open as Carolyn was approaching and needed an
          easy gate (ie unguarded by monsters) to enter. By this time the terror
          level had reached 10. Now if 10 monsters were on the board, Azathoth would
          awaken and our players would lose.

          Carolyn did manage to make it through the the first half of the Great Race.
          To keep the monsters at bay, Joe found a coven of 2 cultists and witch on
          the streets and quickly dispatched all of them. Carolyn survived the second
          half of the Great Race and returns to Arkham with 3 stamina. Spending 2
          stamina to use the Blue Watcher of the Pyramid, the gate is closed.
          Spending 5 clue tokens, the gate is sealed and there are now 6 sealed gates
          on the board meaning victory for Carolyn and Joe.

          And not too soon either as the Terror Level was 10. There were 4 monsters
          on the board (thanks to Joe's massacre of 3 reducing that from 7 - but a
          monster surge would have been very nasty.) And the Doom track as at 11. A
          narrow victory, but a satisfying one as we were struggling against the brink
          of failure at the very end.

          Unlike the first, this game was a bit longer clocking in at 2 hours or so.
          So in a single evening, we find both extremes that the game Arkham Horror
          offers. The situation could result in a very quick game, but games have
          tended to be more like the second affair - a tense race between the players
          and the advancement of the various elements that can trigger the awakening
          of the ancient one.

          And both games were enjoyable tonight. I did enjoy the second one a bit
          more as we had to work for our victory. Looking at our progress - we had
          sold quite a number of gate trophies and monster trophies hoping to gain the
          items (mostly clue tokens) necessary to gain our victories.

          A fun evening facing extreme horror.

          Until next week,